Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am new to this forum and I just hope to find some people here who maybe had to make a similar decision or found a solution to my problem. I am very happy for every advice.

I just turned 28 and live with my boyfriend (we have been together for 4 years now). We plan to get married when I'm 30 and I always wanted to have have children, at least 2 but rather even 3 or 4(if it was up to me i would have already have my first at 27 or so). My boyfriend also would be happy to have 3 children and we would "start" with the first when I am 30. This is the pkan for my family life.

Beside these plans for my family life, I also have a dream for my career: I want to become a vet and study veterinary medicine. This was my dream since I was a little girl and I should have done it long time ago but i did not out of worries that it is a too difficult course and that i maybe would not be able to cope with doing surgeries etc. Now i have a bachelors degree in hospitality management and im just not happy and find no meaning in my work. I would really love to study again and make my dream come true.

Now the problem is that the vet degree takes around 6 years to complete and I would only start next year when Im already 29. So i would be finished when im 35, too old to start having kids. How can i combine these two goals? Getting pregnant while studying at take some time off? Get children first and study even later? I really dont know what to do and it makes me so sad to think that im too old to achieve my goals.

Thank you for your help, im really at a point where im just lost what to do.

ReputationRep:
    I now have two kids, 5 and 2. I genuinely don't believe you can raise a family and pursue an ambitious career at the same time unless your partner is prepared to be a stay at home dad. Sure, people do it, but they are the folks dropping of their kids at 7am and picking them up again at 6.30pm. In my opinion, that is not family life and one does have to wonder what the point in having kids is if they are going to spend more time in childcare per week than with you.

For our own family life, my wife now works part time doing a noddy job 3 days a week. It earns her pocket money but the benefit is that she is home for 4.30pm each evening. I have sacrificed my passion of climbing in order to spend more time at the weekend with the kids. It can be tough but the rewards are worth it.

You have some thinking to do. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Your biggest problem might be funding. As you already have a degree, you wouldn't get any more Student Finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretty_in_pink)
    Hi,

I am new to this forum and I just hope to find some people here who maybe had to make a similar decision or found a solution to my problem. I am very happy for every advice.

I just turned 28 and live with my boyfriend (we have been together for 4 years now). We plan to get married when I'm 30 and I always wanted to have have children, at least 2 but rather even 3 or 4(if it was up to me i would have already have my first at 27 or so). My boyfriend also would be happy to have 3 children and we would "start" with the first when I am 30. This is the pkan for my family life.

Beside these plans for my family life, I also have a dream for my career: I want to become a vet and study veterinary medicine. This was my dream since I was a little girl and I should have done it long time ago but i did not out of worries that it is a too difficult course and that i maybe would not be able to cope with doing surgeries etc. Now i have a bachelors degree in hospitality management and im just not happy and find no meaning in my work. I would really love to study again and make my dream come true.

Now the problem is that the vet degree takes around 6 years to complete and I would only start next year when Im already 29. So i would be finished when im 35, too old to start having kids. How can i combine these two goals? Getting pregnant while studying at take some time off? Get children first and study even later? I really dont know what to do and it makes me so sad to think that im too old to achieve my goals.

Thank you for your help, im really at a point where im just lost what to do.
    I don't really see how 35 is too old to start having kids... But I don't quite know how you'll manage 4 or 5 if you also want to be a vet. Even to get into vet med you need to have at least 6 weeks work experience with various animals, plus top grades and excellent PS and pass the UKCAT/BMAT. However, vet med is 5 years long like medicine unless you study at Cambridge where it does take 6 as you have an extra year where you study for the Nat Sci BSc.

You will also be expected to do mandatory work experience in the holidays to satisfactorily complete the degree.

I think you need to decide whether you want to follow your dreams, or be fair to your potential family and concentrate on them.

ReputationRep:
    Some options to consider:

1. Have children sooner and delay your degree until they are at school.
    2. Do vet nursing instead, as it's a shorter course.
    3. Do a part-time or distance learning degree - both of these are offered by the Royal Veterinary College - http://www.london.ac.uk/2394.html

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.