The Student Room Group

I'm Terrified

Let me explain:
I'm a year 12, taking Philosophy and Ethics, English Lit and Lang, Product Design and Math resit (My exam is in November and if I'm lucky I'll get to pick a replacement course - pray for me). I know right - great choices you idiot.
I took English and Design because I'm good at them and I enjoy writing and inventing more than you can even imagine.
However - (and I'm not sure on this fact - so I've come here in hope that someone will rectify the mistake i've hopefully made) - I am desperate to end up with a job that I enjoy, that also pays well. Not millionaire well (although that would be a bonus) - but just 'well off', around the £60,000+ mark.
It seems to me that you have to have taken academic subjects (e.g. maths, further maths, the sciences, finance, business or economics, etc.) in order to get a high paying job such as one that I desire.
Have I made a mistake in choosing non-academic subjects? Should I use my opportunity to replace maths resit with an academic subject while I still have the chance? Am I doomed for a low paying job and overall lower quality life because I chose non-academics? Will I get into University with the subjects that I've taken? Please help me because I'M ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED.
Ty 4 listening bye
No.

I wouldn't say maths and english aren't non academics.
I'm not sure of the sort of jobs you can get into as I'm in the healthcare/science department, but you have a nice diversity of subjects :smile:

Many universities won't specify a subject unless its relevant to that course (I.e, chemistry for a chemistry degree) and many just ask that you meet certain grade requirements.

Do you know what you want to do/be later on in life? or what to study?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LadyEcliptic
No.

I wouldn't say maths and english aren't non academics.
I'm not sure of the sort of jobs you can get into as I'm in the healthcare/science department, but you have a nice diversity of subjects :smile:

Many universities won't specify a subject unless its relevant to that course (I.e, chemistry for a chemistry degree) and many just ask that you meet certain grade requirements.

Do you know what you want to do/be later on in life? or what to study?

I don't know exactly what I want to do - in most academic decisions I've made - I choose based on what I enjoy and what I am good at. (e.g. When I chose my GCSE's I chose what would make me happiest, and I still apply this policy now). I think (along with much research, exploration, discussion, etc.) the bottom line for choosing a uni course is - what will I enjoy the most? The answer is likely to be something similar to the courses I've taken now.
Also - thank you for specifying that uni's look more at your grades regardless of what subjects they are (apart from exceptions), I didn't know this and it's given me the biggest sense of relief imaginable.

Quick Reply

Latest