Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm Terrified watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Let me explain:
    I'm a year 12, taking Philosophy and Ethics, English Lit and Lang, Product Design and Math resit (My exam is in November and if I'm lucky I'll get to pick a replacement course - pray for me). I know right - great choices you idiot.
    I took English and Design because I'm good at them and I enjoy writing and inventing more than you can even imagine.
    However - (and I'm not sure on this fact - so I've come here in hope that someone will rectify the mistake i've hopefully made) - I am desperate to end up with a job that I enjoy, that also pays well. Not millionaire well (although that would be a bonus) - but just 'well off', around the £60,000+ mark.
    It seems to me that you have to have taken academic subjects (e.g. maths, further maths, the sciences, finance, business or economics, etc.) in order to get a high paying job such as one that I desire.
    Have I made a mistake in choosing non-academic subjects? Should I use my opportunity to replace maths resit with an academic subject while I still have the chance? Am I doomed for a low paying job and overall lower quality life because I chose non-academics? Will I get into University with the subjects that I've taken? Please help me because I'M ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED.
    Ty 4 listening bye

ReputationRep:
    No.

I wouldn't say maths and english aren't non academics.
    I'm not sure of the sort of jobs you can get into as I'm in the healthcare/science department, but you have a nice diversity of subjects

Many universities won't specify a subject unless its relevant to that course (I.e, chemistry for a chemistry degree) and many just ask that you meet certain grade requirements.

Do you know what you want to do/be later on in life? or what to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyEcliptic)
    No.

I wouldn't say maths and english aren't non academics.
    I'm not sure of the sort of jobs you can get into as I'm in the healthcare/science department, but you have a nice diversity of subjects

Many universities won't specify a subject unless its relevant to that course (I.e, chemistry for a chemistry degree) and many just ask that you meet certain grade requirements.

Do you know what you want to do/be later on in life? or what to study?
    I don't know exactly what I want to do - in most academic decisions I've made - I choose based on what I enjoy and what I am good at. (e.g. When I chose my GCSE's I chose what would make me happiest, and I still apply this policy now). I think (along with much research, exploration, discussion, etc.) the bottom line for choosing a uni course is - what will I enjoy the most? The answer is likely to be something similar to the courses I've taken now.
    Also - thank you for specifying that uni's look more at your grades regardless of what subjects they are (apart from exceptions), I didn't know this and it's given me the biggest sense of relief imaginable.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.