Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I get into an Ivy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi wanted to know if my academics and extra cirriculars are good enough to get me into an Ivy League
    I got 9A*s 3As at GCSE.
    I'm on a gap year and have 3As in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and an A* for my EPQ. So on my year out I was planning to retake three units I messed up on and cost me A*s. My teachers have agreed to give me A* predictions for all three. I am also taking A-level physics in my gap year.
    I have an ACT score of 34 and will be taking the Biology and Maths II SAT subject tests in November.

Extra-cirriculars
    Biology captain
    Grade 8 viola & violin
    My towns Youth orchestra (2 years)
    Volunteered at Hospice and working with disabled teens (2 years)
    Tutor ages 7 to 16 in maths and science since June ( my own small business with 10 kids)
    Prefect
    Duke of Edinburgh (gold)

Thanks for the help guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaMc)
    Hi wanted to know if my academics and extra cirriculars are good enough to get me into an Ivy League
    I got 9A*s 3As at GCSE.
    I'm on a gap year and have 3As in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and an A* for my EPQ. So on my year out I was planning to retake three units I messed up on and cost me A*s. My teachers have agreed to give me A* predictions for all three. I am also taking A-level physics in my gap year.
    I have an ACT score of 34 and will be taking the Biology and Maths II SAT subject tests in November.

Extra-cirriculars
    Biology captain
    Grade 8 viola & violin
    My towns Youth orchestra (2 years)
    Volunteered at Hospice and working with disabled teens (2 years)
    Tutor ages 7 to 16 in maths and science since June ( my own small business with 10 kids)
    Prefect
    Duke of Edinburgh (gold)

Thanks for the help guys
    The only real flaw if I can call it that are your A-levels which ideally should have been A*AA-A*A*A* but all very much depends on your SAT scores. Not sure how closely they will look at your resits and/or they may not look upon that favourably. Your ECs are good, be sure to "link them in" e..g. I play grade 8 level violin and use this to play for a local orchestra with whom I have done recitals/tours etc. Have you taken part in any voluntary award schemes like V Inspired? Reflect more on DofE gold what skills you gained, how the challenges pushed you etc. Biology captain....what's the significance of that? Have you taken part in any Biology Olympiads (if they exist) and/or done any national essay competitions? Try to ask yourself "so what" after each EC and think if it "stands out" and if not what more could you do with that to make that the case.

ECs need to be impressive, not necessarily say international standard athlete but something that goes beyond average e.g. something/a role for which only a small percentage were selected, something that required commitment over a long period, something out of the ordinary that demonstrates a passion for that sport/music e.g. "I play cricket for my school and have won tournaments but also play at county level and teach inner city kids in my spare time and in the summer i am going to south africa to teach kids there". Etc.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.