AspiringOne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all, I'm heavily considering going to the UK for Law school. I was wondering though which law schools are best or better over others for employers within the UK or Hong Kong? Also, for those who have or know someone gone through this process, would it be hard to secure legal employment if you are not a UK citizen?

Thank you all for reading.
Bupdeeboowah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AspiringOne)
Hi all, I'm heavily considering going to the UK for Law school. I was wondering though which law schools are best or better over others for employers within the UK or Hong Kong? Also, for those who have or know someone gone through this process, would it be hard to secure legal employment if you are not a UK citizen?

Thank you all for reading.
Hi, was in a similar position as you a while a back. To answer you questions:

1. Universities such as Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, KCL are well-regarded by UK employers. I'm not so sure about HK employers but it seems that almost all of my HK classmates have jobs with HK law firms (I went to a RG university)

2. The first barrier to securing legal employment in the UK is the Tier 2 work visa. Not all firms will sponsor such visas for their trainees, and in general only the larger firms and international firms will sponsor such visas (with the exception of shipping firms, which seem to sponsor visas quite readily). That generally leaves you with Magic Circle, Silver Circle, and US law firms (which tend to recruit students from the aforementioned universities with high grades), and other international firms such as CMS and Norton Rose - whose standards are also high. So it is important for you to consider the probability of you doing well in one of the above UK law schools if you are aiming to secure a TC with a UK law firm.
AspiringOne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
Hi, was in a similar position as you a while a back. To answer you questions:

1. Universities such as Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, KCL are well-regarded by UK employers. I'm not so sure about HK employers but it seems that almost all of my HK classmates have jobs with HK law firms (I went to a RG university)

2. The first barrier to securing legal employment in the UK is the Tier 2 work visa. Not all firms will sponsor such visas for their trainees, and in general only the larger firms and international firms will sponsor such visas (with the exception of shipping firms, which seem to sponsor visas quite readily). That generally leaves you with Magic Circle, Silver Circle, and US law firms (which tend to recruit students from the aforementioned universities with high grades), and other international firms such as CMS and Norton Rose - whose standards are also high. So it is important for you to consider the probability of you doing well in one of the above UK law schools if you are aiming to secure a TC with a UK law firm.
Hi, thanks for your response and suggestions. Did you decided to attend law school and if you did, which one was it? Which route would be easier - barrister or solicitor if I wish to work in Hong Kong one day after gaining experiences in the UK?
Bupdeeboowah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AspiringOne)
Hi, thanks for your response and suggestions. Did you decided to attend law school and if you did, which one was it? Which route would be easier - barrister or solicitor if I wish to work in Hong Kong one day after gaining experiences in the UK?
Yes, I attended law school, but unfortunately, I'm not going to reveal much details on a forum!

The barrister route is definitely harder. If I recall correctly, there were about 400 pupilage places in 2015 in the entire of the UK, compared to solicitors which were about 5000. Furthermore, the entry requirements for a pupilage is much higher than that of a solicitor's, and networking with barristers is a must if you want to succeed in your applications. I'm not too sure about the visa situation for pupilages/barristers though, but if my guess is correct, not all chambers are willing to sponsor the visas, thereby limiting your options even more.

As for practicing in HK, I'm not sure about the rules on practicing local law in the jurisdiction for foreign-trained lawyers, though I suspect barristers can work on commercial law issues. However, I think becoming a solicitor would be far easier, since many of the big firms in the UK have offshore offices in HK, which would allow you to practice English law in that jurisdiction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (124)
14.55%
I'm not sure (36)
4.23%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (260)
30.52%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (410)
48.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise