Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    2-bromo-2-methylpropane,C4H9Br can be used to produce methylpropene,C4H8. 2-bromo-methylpropane reacts with sodium ethoxide, NaOC2H5 to produce ethanol,C2H5OH and sodium bromide , NaBr along with methylpropene. using the relative formula masses of the reactants and products,
    work out the atom economy for this reaction.

What I did was i worked out the rfm of the desired product which was methylpropene,C4H8 = 56
    Then I wrote down the equation

So C4H9Br + NaOC2H5 --> C2H5OH + NaBr + C4H8

Then I added all the rfm's of all the products (C2H5OH + NaBr + C4H8)
    So ((12x2) + 5 +16+1) + (23+79.9) + ((12x4)+8) = 204.9

So
    atom economy = molecular mass of desired product / sum of molecular masses of all products x100

(56/204.9)x 100 = 27.3304.. So 27.3% 3s.f

Unfortunately my answer is wrong and the right answer is 41% ??

Why is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyCherry)
    2-bromo-2-methylpropane,C4H9Br can be used to produce methylpropene,C4H8. 2-bromo-methylpropane reacts with sodium ethoxide, NaOC2H5 to produce ethanol,C2H5OH and sodium bromide , NaBr along with methylpropene. using the relative formula masses of the reactants and products,
    work out the atom economy for this reaction.

What I did was i worked out the rfm of the desired product which was methylpropene,C4H8 = 56
    Then I wrote down the equation b

So C4H9Br + NaOC2H5 --> C2H5OH + NaBr + C4H8

Then I added all the rfm's of all the products (C2H5OH + NaBr + C4H8)
    So ((12x2) + 5 +16+1) + (23+79.9) + ((12x4)+8) = 204.9

So
    atom economy = molecular mass of desired product / sum of molecular masses of all products x100

(56/204.9)x 100 = 27.3304.. So 27.3% 3s.f

Unfortunately my answer is wrong and the right answer is 41% ??

Why is that?
    I do hate this atom economy stuff. There seems to be no consistency to how things are calculated.

To get 41% the maths is

Mr[C4H8]/Mr[C4H9Br]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    I do hate this atom economy stuff. There seems to be no consistency to how things are calculated.

To get 41% the maths is

Mr[C4H8]/Mr[C4H9Br]
    This is really confusing, how am I supposed to know whether to use the formula of atom economy or do what you just did?:erm:

Besides why would they include the reaction of 2-bromo-methylpropane with sodium ethoxide ??? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyCherry)
    This is really confusing, how am I supposed to know whether to use the formula of atom economy or do what you just did?:erm:

Besides why would they include the reaction of 2-bromo-methylpropane with sodium ethoxide ??? :lolwut:
    I agree with you. I'd have worked out the atom economy in the exact same way that you did.

ReputationRep:
    True back of an envelope mechanism.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  168.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you. I'd have worked out the atom economy in the exact same way that you did.
    True back of an envelope mechanism.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  168.1 KB

To get 41% the maths is

Mr[C4H8]/Mr[C4H9Br]
    I see, thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Where is the Q from? Who says that the answer is 41%?

Whoever they are, they are wrong, it is 27.3%, even Wikipedia agrees!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Where is the Q from? Who says that the answer is 41%?

Whoever they are, they are wrong, it is 27.3%, even Wikipedia agrees!
    The question is from the Edexcel AS chemistry book, and I've got the answers to the book with me. You see I think you're right cos I've noticed some mistakes in the answers to student book itself in other questions. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    How very dare you : ) Of course I'm right.

(also we are right, it is a mistake)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.