Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm currently in the 2nd year of a 5 year MEng Software Engineering degree.
    Last year, during my first year, I was registered on a 3 year BSC Comp. Sci degree but switched during the summer.

    For 2016/2017 I have to take a sandwich year, so I have a few questions

    1) If I apply for the reduced maintenance loan during my sandwich (3rd) year, will I still be eligible for full funding during my 4th/5th years?
    2) Will the upcoming changes to student finance next year (removal of maintenance grant) have any effect on this?
    3) Will switching to a degree that's 2 years longer than my original have any effect on this?
    4) When will the reduced maintenance loan amounts for 2016/2017 be announced?

    Thanks a lot!
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi bedbug32.

    So long as we receive a transfer from your uni to show that your course is different to the BSC, and the transfer puts you into the same year of the course, then you will still be able to receive full funding for all years. When calculating entitlement we use the 'ordinary duration' of the course you are going on, which is the number of years it lasts.

    Effectively it means we would use 5 years now, rather than the 3 years in the calculation.

    Changes to maintenance loans/grants will only affect new students in 16/17 not returners.

    16/17 funding rates will be released around the December/January period.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.