Cycy12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hey,

My question is:

The polynomial x^2-4x+3 is a factor of the polynomial x^3+ax^2+27x+b.Find the values of a and b

I have tried the factor theorem, without any sucess...

Thank you!!
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well you can find two roots of the cubic by factorising and solving the quadratic. put these roots into the cubic and it must equal zero.

to find the third root of the cubic you could either do long division or just inspection.
B_9710
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What you will have to do is factorise the quadratic factor into 2 linear factors. Then use the factor theorem and you will end up with 2 equations in a and b. There will be 2 equations and 2 variables so you will be able to then solve for a and b.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads