Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which uni should I apply to with these grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hope someone can help. I'm 18 and have currently just started A-Levels (2 years later than normally, took 2 years out to work/figure out what I really wanted to do).

GCSEs: AAABBCC (Language, Literature, ICT, Business, Philosophy & Ethics, Maths, Science). Originally predicted all As/Bs. I have serious extenuating circumstances for these examinations also, in addition to taking them between Year 9 and 10 (did not complete Year 11 at school).

A-Levels: English Literature, Modern History, Philosophy. Will be completed by 2017.

Where should I apply? Location isn't an issue, I was even looking at study outside of the UK. Obviously the dream would be to ace all my A-Levels (and I mean seriously ace them) and end up at a top UK university, but I need a second opinion as I've done so much research that my head feels like it's going to explode.

Subject looking to study: English, Philosophy or Journalism.

What I want out of my uni: Excellent teaching (obviously). Nightlife isn't really a massive issue.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked out what the unis offer in terms of social events?

ReputationRep:
    Figure out what degree you want to do, find out your predicted grades and visit a few in that range (E.g AAB - visit Loughborough etc.). You'll then figure out what you want in a uni based on what you like and don't like when on those visits - and then you just choose accordingly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick responses. I've updated the post with uni preferences/what I want to study.

Annoyingly my school didn't give my college any predicted grades!

ReputationRep:
    Heya! For the courses which you mentioned, quite a few people from my school go to Cardiff. Cardiff is currently 31st in the 'The Complete University Guide' league tables.
    Cardiff's English Literature and Philosophy is AAB, and their Journalism and Communications degree is ABB.

I am sure you can achieve that! Just a thought.. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olax98)
    Heya! For the courses which you mentioned, quite a few people from my school go to Cardiff. Cardiff is currently 31st in the 'The Complete University Guide' league tables.
    Cardiff's English Literature and Philosophy is AAB, and their Journalism and Communications degree is ABB.

I am sure you can achieve that! Just a thought.. Good luck!
    Thanks so much for this! Surprisingly hadn't looked at going here yet. I've got a friend that studies in Cardiff and she loves it thank you!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest with you, it's too early to start making any decisions about which unis to apply to.

First thing to do is to work out what subject you want to study.

At the same time, over the course of this next year you'll get an idea of what sort of grades you're heading for, which will give you a range of unis to look at.

Then you can start narrowing things down a bit, looking at things like course content, city vs campus, social life etc.

I'd highly recommend reading the TSR wiki on how to choose a uni and degree, but for now no one really has enough info to advise you properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by megzylouise)
    Subject looking to study: English, Philosophy or Journalism.
    That's quite a mix. Journalism especially you'll find that the top universities are very different to those asking for As and Bs for English and Philosophy.

These are the accredited journalism degrees in the UK: http://www.nctj.com/want-to-be-a-jou...s#coursesearch and http://www.ppa.co.uk/careers/accreditation/ Although a degree isn't always the best route in - many people take a degree in another topic and then take postgrad courses in journalism or go through one of the BBC trainee schemes. If it's something you're interested in then ideally you'd be best looking to get some work experience ASAP (http://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/work-experience for example but local newspapers and radio are worth approaching too).

If you're looking to go to a more traditional university for English or Phil then it's worth having a look around their student union websites to find out what media opportunities would be available while you're studying (do they have a student newspaper? more than one? a radio station? a tv station? etc etc).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.