The Student Room Group

Phd, will it be worth it?

Hi
I have just recently started an engineering Phd in 3D printed metamaterials.
I left a relatively well paid job i'd been in for a year as a masters mechanical engineering graduate to come and do this phd, but im already concerned i may have made the wrong choice.

I want to work in the industry when I finish my Phd, and hopefully it will allow me to do a job where i am more interested in the topic. A job in the space industry would be my ideal job, although hard to achieve but could be relevant to my phd.

My peers are all doing EngD's which are specifically aimed at the industry, which makes me slightly envious of them, as they are now on 5K more per year, and apparently come out with 4 years industry experience and chartered status.
I had the opportunity to do this, but decided instead to do a Phd. I couldn't face the prospect of another years worth of lectures, as opposed to a phd where you dont have any.

Do you think I have made the correct choice? I'm struggling to get motivated knowing I may have made a bad decision, so Im fishing for some positive points about my decision.
If you knew that an EngD would give you the experience you needed and possibly an in into industry you probably should have gone with that. However, it sounds like you knew what you wanted from a PhD experience and went with it so I'd say stick with it and try and get an internship or set up a collaboration or some such while you're at it.
Reply 2
I agree with alleycat. Stick with it for all the reasons you chose that pathway. Best of luck.
I was told that you need to be used to getting negative results or set backs a number of times before you get a eureka moment. So, if you are patient and its something you want to do, go for it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending