This discussion is closed.
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
forgive my ignorance but what is the grading system for scottish highers? is it like a levels (A,B,C etc) or different?
rts
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A, B, C, D or fail. They introduced the D this year for people who just fail a subject. Each of the grades is split up into 2 'bands' (higher and lower) and if you ask at school they can usually tell you which one you were in.
Acaila
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Although thankfully that doesn't go on your certificate.
mussed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
Although thankfully that doesn't go on your certificate.
Yeah, but universities can find them out - although in practice I doubt anyone ever does. I actually like the bands for that reason - it's an actual differential at the top, like the proposed A* at A-Level.
Hellsbells
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mussed)
Yeah, but universities can find them out - although in practice I doubt anyone ever does. I actually like the bands for that reason - it's an actual differential at the top, like the proposed A* at A-Level.
I really hope they don't introduce A* at A-level, imagine how worked up people would get over revision! How awful would it be if some universities required A*/band 1s for an offer
ecossaise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
At my school, there was practically queues outside the SQA coordinator's office to see what bands people had got. I didn't bother - because for me, at Higher, a grade is a grade - nevertheless for weeks after the results came out people were coming up to me and asking what bands I had got. There was even an article in the local newspaper detailing how many people in the area had got 5 band 1s.

Finally I did find out what I had got - my Head of Year told me, thinking I'd be desperate to know :rolleyes: However, there are more important aspects of education to be concentrating on - at the end of the day, your results are your results and it doesn't make one bit of difference what band they are - other than to an over-inflated/crushed ego.
Acaila
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think I'll only ask for bands if I get five As, and then it will be merely out of curiousity.
Sophetta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didn't want to know my bands, because I thought it may undermine my achievement. I did find out though, because my guidance teacher had put them on my reference for ucas and I knew my mark for geography.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (13)
6.63%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.2%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.84%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.22%
There's nothing they could do (59)
30.1%

Watched Threads