Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A thought experiment:

For the purposes of this experiment, imagine that the medical knowledge is available to perform this procedure.

Imagine you have two perfectly healthy individuals: Ben and Fred. For this experiment, the right hemisphere of their brains are removed. They are then placed into the other indivduals skulls, to replace their right hemisphere. Neurons are then stimulated, and make connections to connect the two hemispheres as normal.

After this procedure is completed, the two wake up.

Now...

Who is who? What happened to the original entities of Ben and Fred? Do they still exist? Where are they?

What does this imply about their identities?
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Farm_Ecology)
A thought experiment:

For the purposes of this experiment, imagine that the medical knowledge is available to perform this procedure.

Imagine you have two perfectly healthy individuals: Ben and Fred. For this experiment, the right hemisphere of their brains are removed. They are then placed into the other indivduals skulls, to replace their right hemisphere. Neurons are then stimulated, and make connections to connect the two hemispheres as normal.

After this procedure is completed, the two wake up.

Now...

Who is who? What happened to the original entities of Ben and Fred? Do they still exist? Where are they?

What does this imply about their identities?
This is actually a really interesting question. I'll answer properly when I have more time, but what's your personal take on it?
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
This is actually a really interesting question. I'll answer properly when I have more time, but what's your personal take on it?
Ill be honest, im not sure. I think serious emotional and psycological distress is a certainty. But we know from various neuological experiments that the brain has inventive ways of dealing with discrepency.

I dont think it would result in either subject feeling that they have someone else inside them, or that one personality would dominate the other.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Considering neurons would never be attached, likely both would become different people, go insane etc.

Were that possible? People have dominant sides, usually left, so I guess they just develop different traits, but it's whoever owns the dominant side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads