Turn on thread page Beta

The Swapped Brain watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A thought experiment:

For the purposes of this experiment, imagine that the medical knowledge is available to perform this procedure.

Imagine you have two perfectly healthy individuals: Ben and Fred. For this experiment, the right hemisphere of their brains are removed. They are then placed into the other indivduals skulls, to replace their right hemisphere. Neurons are then stimulated, and make connections to connect the two hemispheres as normal.

After this procedure is completed, the two wake up.

Now...

Who is who? What happened to the original entities of Ben and Fred? Do they still exist? Where are they?

What does this imply about their identities?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    A thought experiment:

For the purposes of this experiment, imagine that the medical knowledge is available to perform this procedure.

Imagine you have two perfectly healthy individuals: Ben and Fred. For this experiment, the right hemisphere of their brains are removed. They are then placed into the other indivduals skulls, to replace their right hemisphere. Neurons are then stimulated, and make connections to connect the two hemispheres as normal.

After this procedure is completed, the two wake up.

Now...

Who is who? What happened to the original entities of Ben and Fred? Do they still exist? Where are they?

This is actually a really interesting question. I'll answer properly when I have more time, but what's your personal take on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    This is actually a really interesting question. I'll answer properly when I have more time, but what's your personal take on it?
    Ill be honest, im not sure. I think serious emotional and psycological distress is a certainty. But we know from various neuological experiments that the brain has inventive ways of dealing with discrepency.

I dont think it would result in either subject feeling that they have someone else inside them, or that one personality would dominate the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    From the point of view of metaphysics, no, they do not still exist. You've mixed identities (memories, feelings, etc.), the actual matter that composed each individual is no longer identifiable, etc. There is no way in metaphysics remotely capable of making an argument such that there is continued personhood. As it is, even with normal persons metaphysics has a very difficult time trying to argue that there is such a thing as continued personhood from T1 to T2.

They're new persons. And probably quite traumatized new persons at that. They would likely experience memories as very strange third-person flashbacks. Likely suffer disassociative disorders, perhaps PTSD, etc.

Their neural pathways for memory recollection would be broken, so their memories would be scattered, on occasion not available on desired recall, likely occasionally experienced involuntarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    From the point of view of metaphysics, no, they do not still exist. You've mixed identities (memories, feelings, etc.), the actual matter that composed each individual is no longer identifiable, etc. There is no way in metaphysics remotely capable of making an argument such that there is continued personhood. As it is, even with normal persons metaphysics has a very difficult time trying to argue that there is such a thing as continued personhood from T1 to T2.

They're new persons. And probably quite traumatized new persons at that. They would likely experience memories as very strange third-person flashbacks. Likely suffer disassociative disorders, perhaps PTSD, etc.

Their neural pathways for memory recollection would be broken, so their memories would be scattered, on occasion not available on desired recall, likely occasionally experienced involuntarily.
    Considering neurons would never be attached, likely both would become different people, go insane etc.

Were that possible? People have dominant sides, usually left, so I guess they just develop different traits, but it's whoever owns the dominant side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Were that possible? People have dominant sides, usually left, so I guess they just develop different traits, but it's whoever owns the dominant side.
    The 'dominant side' idea is a myth. See e.g here

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.