Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to get motivated? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I guess this is sort of general, but I think a lot of people struggle with getting motivated to start work and start revising. Does anyone have any tips on getting motivated and getting started on work?

ReputationRep:
    Stop waiting for more advice on how to get started and just get started? :P

Seriously, just start something, it'll be better than waiting around to find advice for the perfect revision session.
    (I'm terrible at motivating myself to do any work but you just have to make yourself get on with it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pronged Lily)

Seriously, just start something, it'll be better than waiting around to find advice for the perfect revision session.
    (I'm terrible at motivating myself to do any work but you just have to make yourself get on with it)
    I agree - just getting started is easier than worrying about how to get motivated Although it's a good idea to give yourself rewards if you're finding it hard to keep going - like some cake after an hour of doing work or something along those lines. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pronged Lily)
    This girl has just provided literally the fundamental message behind everything, essentially just get on with it.
    --
    Don't mess around trying to find various quotes, videos, people, etc. sources of inspiration/motivation and just actually get on with the work. The amount of times I've sat around and thought eughgh I don't wanna do this, then just do it and find it WAY easier than I imagined is astonishing.

Turn off your tv/laptop/phone and just go study.

If you're after a specific method I've been trialling this over past few days:

There are five basic steps to implementing the technique:
    1. Decide on the task to be done
    2. Set the [pomodoro] timer to n minutes (traditionally 25)[1]
    3. Work on the task until the timer rings; record with an x
    4. Take a short break (3–5 minutes)
    5. After four pomodoros, take a longer break (15–30 minutes)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique

Take longer breaks obv. if you're struggling and I'm more inclined to say do the 15-30 mins after 3 pomodoros (25 minutes) not 4.

ReputationRep:
    Motivation is bullchit, seriously , motivation is like the matchstick that starts the flame. Its easy to get motivated just think of the future think of where YOU want to be. The world is a pretty difficult place to live in, and the worse your grades are the more it limits you in the world and the harder it becomes to move between career path. If you want motivation watch those inspirational videos, i normaly get motivated by thinking of who I could be, who i may become. If I am a fukkin sick kent now, what will i be in the future ?

You have the potential and the opportunity to be something great. something incredible, original, something this world has never seen before. Motivation is something that comes from outside and therefore like all external things it is only temporary.

What you lack you kent, is discipline, discipline comes from within meaning it is eternal, discipline is the fan that grows the fire of passion and keeps it going.

ALL the worlds greats felt a lack of motivation, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Muhammed Ali, Jose Mourinho, Malcolm X, Will Smith, but they just kept on going, keep going whether you like it or not. Forget about getting "turnt", forget about "that girl", focus on you and being the best possible version of yourself. Once that internal struggle is conquered the rest will follow. Boom done.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.isaaclowton.com/articles/just-get-started
    http://www.isaaclowton.com/articles/...procratinating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzad0gs)
    I agree - just getting started is easier than worrying about how to get motivated Although it's a good idea to give yourself rewards if you're finding it hard to keep going - like some cake after an hour of doing work or something along those lines. Good luck!

holy chit fam,

the poster below you has a near identical pic but with the opposite gender

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.