Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student finance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying a foundation degree which is two years, I have received both a maintenance loan and tuition fee loan for this.
    Next year I plan to study an honours degree but they won't take second year entrance, I'm aware I will have to self fun 1 year as I will have used my 4 years funding, however in my self funded tuition fee year will I still be able to receive a maintenance loan?

ReputationRep:
    If you complete your 2 year Foundation Degree and wish to top up to an Honours degree, your student finance is worked out on a calculation - Ordinary Duration of course + gift year - any prev years of study.

If you are going into year 1 of a 3 year Degree course your calculation will be (3+1)-2=2 so you will receive two years of FULL funding for your 2nd and 3rd years of the course.

You will have to self fund your fees for the 1st year - you will however be entitled to Maintenance Loan (which can be means tested).

Hope that helps!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Spudalump)
    If you complete your 2 year Foundation Degree and wish to top up to an Honours degree, your student finance is worked out on a calculation - Ordinary Duration of course + gift year - any prev years of study.

If you are going into year 1 of a 3 year Degree course your calculation will be (3+1)-2=2 so you will receive two years of FULL funding for your 2nd and 3rd years of the course.

You will have to self fund your fees for the 1st year - you will however be entitled to Maintenance Loan (which can be means tested).

Hope that helps!
    The OP is also affected by the ELQ rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    The OP is also affected by the ELQ rules.
    I know I am a student finance assessor.

In this particular case - foundation degree to hons degree (or even ordinary degree) is a top up so no ELQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spudalump)
    I know I am a student finance assessor.

In this particular case - foundation degree to hons degree (or even ordinary degree) is a top up so no ELQ
    Sorry to jump on someone else's query but I am currently on a foundation year (course name extended engineering (4 years)) ad I get the maximum grant. Am I still eligible for a grant next year when I start the first year of engineering (I am on year zero right now) or will I be on the new system with the maximum loan of £8200?

ReputationRep:
    The new loan system hasn't been rolled out to us yet so I cannot answer that question I am afraid.

The only change is there won't be any Maintenance Grants just a Maintenance Loan. The first part of it isn't based on your household income, but you can apply for more that is.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hopefully we will find out soon.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.