Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in year 10 just started my GCSEs, 5 months ago towards the end of year 9 my school took a group of students who they believe can achieve very high grades to Oxford, we had a tour through the university, spoke to some students there etc, that day I felt soooo motivated I wanted to better myself I wanted to achieve the highest grades I felt confident that I can achieve my goals from when I was a child to go to a university like Oxford, with that being said I went out and bought books, study guides, revision guides, workbooks, pens, highlighters, every stationary you can think of, I also browsed the Internet and signed up to multiple websites for GCSE revision, tests, online quizzes etc, it went well for the first month, but then I started losing my motivation to work harder, at school I am a good student, do all I'm asked etc, but my problem is I have NEVER revised so when it comes to having a test I always just face it head on because I can't revise I've tried sooo many times to revise but I can't find a way to revise well, so with that being said I've currently been falling behind in class word, I've lost my motivation because I can't find a way to get the grades I need to become a doctor. My whole family depend on me to be a doctor, I want to be a doctor have wanted to be one since I was a child, but anyway has anyone got any tips for me, I realllly want to get high grades but I'm currently getting ds and cs in my tests and haven't been able to get an higher :/ if anyone who goes to high universities like Oxford or Cambridge etc read this pleaaaase give me tips on how you got there and how I can better my study's to get there.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, it sounds like you burned yourself out for that first month- I know it is important to work hard throughout the year but keep it steady. Right now I think you just need to make sure you're understanding everything that you're learning in class and if you don't you can ask friends/teachers. As for the tests that you're being given, I think you need to find a way to revise that works for you because if you want to be a doctor then you have a lot of exams ahead (not to scare you!). I felt the exact same way in year 10 because you haven't had any important exams before and so haven't needed to revise properly. Personally, I like to right my own notes on the topic for the little tests. Then a few months before exams I start hardcore revision using all of the revision guides etc. I've just applied to study medicine and I've not done too badly so far so feel free to mail me - I think it's good you've noticed this now because you have plenty of time til exams start!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.