Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Well I'm not doing too good in maths ( getting D's) and I need to be getting a B so then I can go on to doing my A-level courses next year.

Please can you guys give me some revision ideas

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jade2000)
    Hey,

Well I'm not doing too good in maths ( getting D's) and I need to be getting a B so then I can go on to doing my A-level courses next year.

Thanks
    Practice, practice and practice.

A bit of the secret ingredient too:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Practice!

Go through the textbook if you get one, learn all the content again, and then do past papers for your exam board.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I would recommend CGP revision guides
    Past exam papers mark schemes and exam reports

Find a topic difficult? Youtube it

ReputationRep:
    make sure you fully understand the concepts you'll be examined on, don't just grind past papers. also if you don't understand something, watch hegartymaths, m4ths or examsolutions.

ReputationRep:
    Literally memorise practice questions and their mark schemes, as most of the questions are more or less recycled with different numbers. EXAMSOLUTIONS.net will save your life btw

ReputationRep:
    Past papers! Past papers were what helped me for GCSE (100%) and AS (maths 98%, further maths 94%). In AS, I went from getting Cs / Ds in my mocks up to very high 90%s, just from doing past papers. I know it's annoying :rolleyes: but it's what you have to do, and it works!

If you can, find worked solutions on the internet for your exam board's past papers. If you can't, use the mark scheme. Go through answering it question by question; if you get stuck, look at the worked solutions / mark scheme, and work it through using that to help you. Maybe set yourself a challenge of one / two past papers a week? Even if you only did a couple of questions in the evening, that helps so much.

Are you friends with anyone who could help you? I know for the subjects I struggled in, I found it massively helpful to have a friend explain stuff to me; I guess the fact it's one on one, and you're hearing it from someone your own age makes it so much easier to understand Failing a real life friend, try posting a thread on TSR asking for help! People here are (in general) lovely

Most of all though - don't worry! You have loads of time until your exams, and lots of people jump up grades in the last few months before an exam. Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Practice, practice and practice.

A bit of the secret ingredient too:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Practice!
    Go through the textbook if you get one, learn all the content again, and then do past papers for your exam board.
    Haha, I guess I need to practice .Thank you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Hey,

Thanks
    As a maths teacher, there really is no shortcut to completing as many questions as possible. Begin by using your textbook to get the basics down - most textbooks contain a mixed exercise at the end of each chapter of exam-style questions. This way you can look up any methods you're not sure of. Then, just complete past papers; find out your exam board and you will find tonnes of papers with full mark schemes on their website for you to use. After this, you can use other exam boards as all are very similar at GCSE. After all of that, if you're stuck on questions, ask your teacher for help. I know very few teachers who wouldn't be glad to help if you brought them some independent work you'd been going through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveire&song)
    Past papers! Past papers were what helped me for GCSE (100%) and AS (maths 98%, further maths 94%). In AS, I went from getting Cs / Ds in my mocks up to very high 90%s, just from doing past papers. I know it's annoying :rolleyes: but it's what you have to do, and it works!

If you can, find worked solutions on the internet for your exam board's past papers. If you can't, use the mark scheme. Go through answering it question by question; if you get stuck, look at the worked solutions / mark scheme, and work it through using that to help you. Maybe set yourself a challenge of one / two past papers a week? Even if you only did a couple of questions in the evening, that helps so much.

Are you friends with anyone who could help you? I know for the subjects I struggled in, I found it massively helpful to have a friend explain stuff to me; I guess the fact it's one on one, and you're hearing it from someone your own age makes it so much easier to understand Failing a real life friend, try posting a thread on TSR asking for help! People here are (in general) lovely

Most of all though - don't worry! You have loads of time until your exams, and lots of people jump up grades in the last few months before an exam. Good luck! x
    Thank you for your reply. Well done in your AS maths results .
    Yeah, I have a few friends that could help me, but it's always nice to make new friends (haha). Also I'll try not to worry, because yeah I have a few months ( thank gosh, more time to practice). Thank you again for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks
    hey there is a website called b the name ´Maths Watch VLE´, go seach it. Unfortunately you need a login BUT i have one from my school, which i can give it to you.
    THE INFORMATION THAT YOU NEED:

Centre ID: bmac
    Usename:burnage
    Password:maths

ENJOYYY!!!!

Oh eah if you r also doing Edexcel GCSE maths A you should get pearson edexcel revision guides which r way better than cgp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARK_REVISES)
    hey there is a website called b the name ´Maths Watch VLE´, go seach it. Unfortunately you need a login BUT i have one from my school, which i can give it to you.
    THE INFORMATION THAT YOU NEED:

ENJOYYY!!!!

Oh eah if you r also doing Edexcel GCSE maths A you should get pearson edexcel revision guides which r way better than cgp.
    Omg thank you so much, and are you sure I can borrow your login??

Yes I am doing Edexcel but at the minute I have a collins revision guide, so I'll have a look into the Edexcel guides. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you feel as if your finding it really hard and you really want a higher level I suggest maybe getting a tutor. I know it might be a little expensive but it's worth it

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks
    you were like me them. well use the CGP books as they are really good. Also do loads of maths past papers and use websites like mymaths and mathswatch .
    Good Luck xx

ReputationRep:
    Omg thank you so much, and are you sure I can borrow your login??

Yes I am doing Edexcel but at the minute I have a collins revision guide, so I'll have a look into the Edexcel guides. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yo jade there's no problem using that login so that's fine cos hundreds of ppl use the same login so I dont see any poblem using it.

You can get the pearson edexcel revision guides at book stores like WHSmith fo £4, which is woth it.

And no problem by the way. Good luck at doing well in yo GCSEs. xoxox

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks
    also try to write down all the fomulas on a piece of paper of notebook to use it as yo upmot advantage, which my teacher suggested which is really effective.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers, past papers, past papers.

I made the mistake of 'writing notes' for the longest time and consistently got bad grades. Maths knowledge really has to be applied and practiced in order to be fully understood and memorized

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please give me their mathswatch login???? It's a matter of emergency!! My exam is on Tuesday. Wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-)
    Can someone please give me their mathswatch login???? It's a matter of emergency!! My exam is on Tuesday. Wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARK_REVISES)
    also try to write down all the fomulas on a piece of paper of notebook to use it as yo upmot advantage, which my teacher suggested which is really effective.
    that's really kind, thank you so much

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.