Georg Hegel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Has anyone heard about the new Hogarth Shakespeare series? They have commissioned The Merchant in Venice and The Winter's Tale to be rewritten. I watched a documentary on the former on BBC 1 and I had to say it sounded very interesting. It was a great discussion for English students as well.

Apparently they have just started the series but I personally can't wait.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Georg Hegel)
Has anyone heard about the new Hogarth Shakespeare series? They have commissioned The Merchant in Venice and The Winter's Tale to be rewritten. I watched a documentary on the former on BBC 1 and I had to say it sounded very interesting. It was a great discussion for English students as well.

Apparently they have just started the series but I personally can't wait.
Apart from the name Shylock the plot summary of Shylock is my Name appears to bear no relation to Shakespeare's play.

Personally I would have thought a retelling with
Charlotte Proudman as Portia, Lord Browne of BP as Antonio and Alan Sugar as Shylock would be entertaining.

A Winter's Tale as written by Joanna Trollope would have the stage direction "Exit pursued by a labrador".
Georg Hegel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Apart from the name Shylock the plot summary of Shylock is my Name appears to bear no relation to Shakespeare's play.

Personally I would have thought a retelling with
Charlotte Proudman as Portia, Lord Browne of BP as Antonio and Alan Sugar as Shylock would be entertaining.

A Winter's Tale as written by Joanna Trollope would have the stage direction "Exit pursued by a labrador".
I don't understand how two Shylock's aren't related? It hasn't come out yet so maybe you know something more. Can you explain why? I'm curious to find out

The documentary explains how it is Shakespeare's play set in contemporary time (like Baz Lurhmann's R+J) and how it gives a more positive spin on Shylock, giving him a right of reply etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (231)
60.95%
No (79)
20.84%
Not sure (69)
18.21%

Watched Threads