Turn on thread page Beta

My dissertation is due in the middle of January. I haven't done my interviews yet, my aims are not clear, I can't think straight. This has been a result of my dissertation adviser not being any help and when I tried to get a new adviser, no one replied. I feel like such a failure and I do not know what I am doing.
    I cannot focus my brain to even read a paragraph let alone a whole journal article.

I do have some interviewees and I know I am going to do semi structured interviews. I have read a fair bit on the topic and no generally what I need to question about however its still not clear and I haven't got my questions planned out.

Is it possible for me to complete my dissertation by the deadline?

If not I was going to perhaps defer to next year but then I would look like such a failure and I don't even know if its allowed.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My dissertation is due in the middle of January. I haven't done my interviews yet, my aims are not clear, I can't think straight. This has been a result of my dissertation adviser not being any help and when I tried to get a new adviser, no one replied. I feel like such a failure and I do not know what I am doing.
    I cannot focus my brain to even read a paragraph let alone a whole journal article.

I do have some interviewees and I know I am going to do semi structured interviews. I have read a fair bit on the topic and no generally what I need to question about however its still not clear and I haven't got my questions planned out.

Is it possible for me to complete my dissertation by the deadline?

If not I was going to perhaps defer to next year but then I would look like such a failure and I don't even know if its allowed.
    I know very little about dissertations and different unis vary anyway, but is there any way you can take a leave of absence of some kind and come back to university in January, or next September? Until then you can focus on improving your mental health and also work out how it;s best to go forward doing your dissertation. Deferring I'd imagine you'd be able to do a similar thing, and it would not make you a failure! Your health is most important and you won't be the first or the last to do it and mental health reasons is a perfectly valid reason to do so. I don't know if you can complete it or not, but go and speak to student support services and see what they suggest, and hopefully can work out with them the best way forward.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.