Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any current student's at Brunel able to let me know on how they're finding it, I'm in a position at the moment with 4C's at As, so I will try my best to bring the Maths to an A and the fact that I have dropped one subject at As gives me more time to spend on maths; what are the contact hours? and how are the maths lectures at Brunel?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm a 2nd year straight maths student in Brunel currently, first year maths is pretty easy, if you've taken both maths and further maths and get it pretty well you'll be fine for first year, even if you don't get it properly just yet they go over everything again with you anyway. If you haven't taken further maths you should be fine too, I didn't take further maths and it was pretty simple because its just going over the basics.
    Maths isn't a subject where you need to read very much so you'll have more lectures and seminars than most other courses, and you wont get reading week either.
    I don't 100% remember how many hours you get a week at level 1, but you have 4 days of uni a week, generally about 3 days that run from about 10-11am till 4-5pm with 1 or 2 hour splits between them, and 1 half day where you'll have like 2 or 3 hours.
    Don't worry too much about your grades, I got 2 B's and a C and got in, if you enjoy maths, this'll be good for you

I'm struggling a bit at level 2, with about 20ish hours of uni a week, its tough, but everyone else seems to be doing fine, so don't get hung up on my personal struggles :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Badshaah420)
    Any current student's at Brunel able to let me know on how they're finding it, I'm in a position at the moment with 4C's at As, so I will try my best to bring the Maths to an A and the fact that I have dropped one subject at As gives me more time to spend on maths; what are the contact hours? and how are the maths lectures at Brunel?
    i graduated in Financial Mathematics.. the maths is pretty easy in first year (further maths is covered in first year). 2nd year gets slightly difficult with analysis and vector calculus or depending on your course. The contact hours vary with each term but from what i remember (it's around 25-30) a week inclusive of seminars / lectures / workshops. Wednesdays are half days, not sure if that's still the case.

The lecturers i had were a mix, some were great (they'd follow up on your queries and take time out to make you understand things), others were rubbish in my opinion (they kind of just kept on going through questions without any basis of theory - only 2 modules i had this problem with throughout my degree).

You should be fine just work hard and make sure you try getting an A atleast in Maths. Further maths is not needed at all.. but it will help.

The maths gets harder in 2nd year.. and financial mathematics is difficult in final year but that's with any course Good Luck !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.