Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am an Irish student and I am aware that Cambridge value the AS Level results quite highly and that they are important if you want to get in. Although I won't be going to Uni for a few years I am still slightly concerned how I will be judged, having not done AS exams, in comparison to UK students who have done them. Is it not that big of a problem considering it's not part of the Irish Educational system?
    I got 8 As and 2 Bs ( B's were in subjects non-related to the course I want to do) with A being the maximum grade you can achieve (no such thing as A stars) in my Junior Cert. I am expecting good results in my Leaving Cert (however it's just one big exam after 2 years of study as opposed to 2 exams added up together like they do in the UK).
    Am I at a disadvantage without proof of good grades at a high level or am I just worrying too much. All replies would be appreciated.

btw just in case: Junior Cert = GSCE equivalent
    Leaving Cert = A level equivalent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tankosaurus)
    Hi I am an Irish student and I am aware that Cambridge value the AS Level results quite highly and that they are important if you want to get in. Although I won't be going to Uni for a few years I am still slightly concerned how I will be judged, having not done AS exams, in comparison to UK students who have done them. Is it not that big of a problem considering it's not part of the Irish Educational system?
    I got 8 As and 2 Bs ( B's were in subjects non-related to the course I want to do) with A being the maximum grade you can achieve (no such thing as A stars) in my Junior Cert. I am expecting good results in my Leaving Cert (however it's just one big exam after 2 years of study as opposed to 2 exams added up together like they do in the UK).
    Am I at a disadvantage without proof of good grades at a high level or am I just worrying too much. All replies would be appreciated.

btw just in case: Junior Cert = GSCE equivalent
    Leaving Cert = A level equivalent
    I don't think you'll be 'disadvantaged' as Cambridge is familiar with Irish qualification.

Info on entry requirement for Irish applicants.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/ireland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    I don't think you'll be 'disadvantaged' as Cambridge is familiar with Irish qualification.

Info on entry requirement for Irish applicants.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/ireland
    Ok thanks.

ReputationRep:
    My daughter went straight through the French system, not international BAC, and got in to Cam. (She scored high on the French BAC, which they required, but it was her passion for her subject that made her stand out.) Just concentrate on your own system, do the best you can, and they will evaluate you in accordance with your own academic standards; at the same time, work to develop in an original way what your most passionate interests are. The admissions tutors strive to understand each system on its own terms, we in no way felt she was disadvantaged. Just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    My daughter went straight through the French system, not international BAC, and got in to Cam. (She scored high on the French BAC, which they required, but it was her passion for her subject that made her stand out.) Just concentrate on your own system, do the best you can, and they will evaluate you in accordance with your own academic standards; at the same time, work to develop in an original way what your most passionate interests are. The admissions tutors strive to understand each system on its own terms, we in no way felt she was disadvantaged. Just go for it.
    Ok thanks and nice to hear your daughter got in.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.