Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I never realised this thread was here. I'm just starting AH English, to do next year. I was thinking for my dissertation of doing maybe a comparison of Edith Wharton and Virginia Woolf, since they wrote at about the same time, or maybe doing something with Carol Shields. Or Margaret Atwood. Or Ted Hughes' "Birthday Letters". I really can't decide because there's so much I like. What do people think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shieldmaiden)
    Wow, I never realised this thread was here. I'm just starting AH English, to do next year. I was thinking for my dissertation of doing maybe a comparison of Edith Wharton and Virginia Woolf, since they wrote at about the same time, or maybe doing something with Carol Shields. Or Margaret Atwood. Or Ted Hughes' "Birthday Letters". I really can't decide because there's so much I like. What do people think?

Sounds good. Alternatively you could go study something more interesting. Although if your school is organised as regards to the AH then you should enjoy the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shieldmaiden)

I did AH English a couple of years ago and i loved it, especially the dissertation. I studied Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and Sula by Toni Morrison and focused on women, mental health and a few other things altho i can't remember much more because it was so long ago Study something that truly interests you, and it'll show through in your final draft - i somehow managed to pull off an A!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I've decided to do something involving Mrs Dalloway, The Waves and To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf since they're all stream of consciousness. I don't know exactly what my title will be yet but I've got all summer to decide so I should come up with something. I'm quite looking forward to it, actually, I think it'll be really interesting...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't plan on doing AH English next year, but if I get an A in Higher then I probably will. Could someone explain the course content to me please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauzt)
    hey. im doin advanced higher eng too and my dissertation title is 'compare and contrast how symbolism is used to explore the theme of mental illness in the bell jar, the trick is to keep breathing and one flew over the cuckoos nest.'
    Hey, this is probably a stupid thing for me to be asking, but i'm just starting the AH English course & am planning on doin my dissertation on the differences in the portrayal of the descent into madness within 'The Bell Jar' & 'The Trick is to Keep Breathing' & i was just wondering if you knew of any websites or books that could help with notes on the 2nd of the two? i can manage Plath reasonably well, but this is the first time i've ever read 'The Trick is to Keep Breathing' & i'm a bit lost as to where to start. i can't seem to find study notes anywhere online nor in text, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I used the latter text in my dissertation and got an A so if you wanna ask any questions, just shoot. PM me.

(Original post by ___pixie)
    Hey, this is probably a stupid thing for me to be asking, but i'm just starting the AH English course & am planning on doin my dissertation on the differences in the portrayal of the descent into madness within 'The Bell Jar' & 'The Trick is to Keep Breathing' & i was just wondering if you knew of any websites or books that could help with notes on the 2nd of the two? i can manage Plath reasonably well, but this is the first time i've ever read 'The Trick is to Keep Breathing' & i'm a bit lost as to where to start. i can't seem to find study notes anywhere online nor in text, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to go about selecting my books for my AH English dissertation. I was thinking of using Orwell's 1984 and two similar books, comparing the common themes. There was a post suggesting something like the set-up I desire but it seems to have disappeared.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    All the ideas for AH english dissertations here sound like they're really coming along! I was thinking of doing poetry, but how many poems are we generally required to do? I thought Robert Frost would be good, but his poems tend to be on the shorter side. But ahhh, I would love to do a Frost dissertation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ___pixie)
    hey. To be honest, I couldn't really find many notes on galloway either but it turned out to be a good thing because it really encouraged me to come up with my own ideas. The only source i would recommend would be a book called 'the modern scottish novel' which has some interesting ideas about Galloway's writing style and structure of the novel eg why she uses inoovative page layouts, scripts, unexpected graphics to show Joy's unblanced view of the world ect.
    although you probably shouldn't be taking advice from someone who failed advanced higher english. in all fairness though, i thought my dissertation was pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started Advanced Higher English. I was planning to do my disseratation on the works of Albert Camus or Fyodor Dostoyevsky, but it's too early on to say.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting the course too, I'm doing "Birdsong" and "Atonement" but can't think of a theme to study, although they both deal with war. Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved!

ReputationRep:
    ... for English dissertations.

How's it going for AH English people?

ReputationRep:
    hey i have the same problem as someone else here ;
    im doing The Bell Jar and The Trick is to Keep Breathing
    but i cant ge enough info on the latter
    help ?
    also ;
    i have absolutely no idea how to start a dissertation
    any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Well, what my current plan is to note down all the themes in my three books (I'm doing Angela's Ashes, Evelyn and The Dead School) and the themes they have in common...Not really sure where next though, writing out a million notes or something :]

Anyone else done the Carol Ann Duffy poem "Moments of Grace"?

ReputationRep:
    i'm really glad I decided not to do madness... 2 people in my AH english class are doing it (out of 6), and it seems common here as well! (Decided to do Angela Carter instead - "The Magic Toyshop" [novel] and 4 short stories, on how she uses traditional myths and fairytales to explore female sexuality.)

To be honest, I've been concentrating more on my other dissertation, Modern Studies, as we've got a tighter deadline imposed on us for it (12th of December!), whereas for English it is a detailed plan for 8th.

But I do use my study periods for it instead of homework (most of the time :p: ) so basically what I've been doing is taking notes on each, including key quotations, then underline, italicising and emboldening them to show to which of my 3 chapters they relate. I've also been looking at scholarly articles (Google Books and Amazon are both great ways to look at expensive books for nothing: though some things are limited viewing, it's amazing what isn't! I should also end up with about 2 pages of a bibliography at least, which we were told by one of our teachers is a good aim.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy. Don't have my question set in stone as of yet but it's to do with the portrayal of heaven and hell between the texts and how they differ.

Or to that effect... or something.

ReputationRep:
    In class we've mostly been focusing on the critical essay pieces (studied A Streetcar Named Desire and Sweet Bird of Yoth by Wiliams and selected poetry of Seamus Heaney so far) and I've finished two poems, a short story, working on a play and reflective at the moment.

Anyway, my dissertation pieces are to be, Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon and Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.
    My question is quite simple- A detailed critical comparison of the narrative techniques employed by Thomas Hardy in "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" and Lewis Grassic Gibbon in "Sunset Song" in revealing the indomitable spirit of the central female character.
    I think it needs to include something about the area Tess and Chris lived and the era- as they were quite a time apart. If anyone has anything I could add it would be greatly appreciated.

How far are each of you with the dissertation itself?
    I for one, have barely begun however I've made really extensive notes on each novel aswell as comparitive notes, all in all about 20,000 words however a lot will not be necessary for the dissertation itself.

Stephanie =]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by StephanieJanex)
    Anyway, my dissertation pieces are to be, Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon and Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.
    My question is quite simple- A detailed critical comparison of the narrative techniques employed by Thomas Hardy in "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" and Lewis Grassic Gibbon in "Sunset Song" in revealing the indomitable spirit of the central female character.
    I think it needs to include something about the area Tess and Chris lived and the era- as they were quite a time apart. If anyone has anything I could add it would be greatly appreciated.
    There's the religious/pagan aspect in each: in the section where Tess is walking to Talbothays, Hardy says, "women whose chief companions are the forms and forces of outdoor Nature retain in their souls far more of the Pagan fantasy of their remote forefathers than of the systemized religion taught their race at later date" and Chris makes similar observations about the Scots.

Also, the idea about Nature/the land being constant and far greater than human life, and both women are sometimes incorporated into the landscape itself. Both see work as being in tune with natural rhythms, though also a struggle (the idea of work as hard toil is related to the Fall in Genesis: the difficulty of working the land was man's punishment, whereas woman's was the pain of childbirth...and both Tess and Chris experience this).

Even though the books are set in different times, there is a sense of almost timelessness because of the recognition in both that they are a tiny part in a huge timeline, one with repetition, cycles etc.

Nice choice of texts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephanieJanex)
    How far are each of you with the dissertation itself?
    I for one, have barely begun however I've made really extensive notes on each novel aswell as comparitive notes, all in all about 20,000 words however a lot will not be necessary for the dissertation itself.

Stephanie =]
    20,000 words? :eek:

I uhh... haven't read my texts yet. Hope my English teacher doesn't read these forums. :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.