Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephanieJanex)
    How far are each of you with the dissertation itself?
    I for one, have barely begun however I've made really extensive notes on each novel aswell as comparitive notes, all in all about 20,000 words however a lot will not be necessary for the dissertation itself.

Stephanie =]
    I've finished my detailed plan ... for the second time after my memory stick on which I keep all files, backing them up on a 2-week cycle, crashed on day 13, the day after I'd finished my 3,500 word 'plan' :woo: :mad:

But, oh well, another 3,350 words have been produced and submitted to my english teacher for feedback. Should only really have to add a few key phrases and conjunctions then FINISHED!!!!

Bibliography went well as well... 3 pages full of references. Surprised at how many books/articles/sites there are to do with carter!

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahleslie1)
    I've finished my detailed plan ... for the second time after my memory stick on which I keep all files, backing them up on a 2-week cycle, crashed on day 13, the day after I'd finished my 3,500 word 'plan' :woo: :mad:

But, oh well, another 3,350 words have been produced and submitted to my english teacher for feedback. Should only really have to add a few key phrases and conjunctions then FINISHED!!!!

Bibliography went well as well... 3 pages full of references. Surprised at how many books/articles/sites there are to do with carter!

Sarah

Oh well done, I'm currently sitting in the school library working on my detailed plan. I've not worked on my bibliography yet, I will focus on the disserttion itself just now. Have you to have a first draft before the Christmas break? I do, so I'm a little nervous about that. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephanieJanex)
    Oh well done, I'm currently sitting in the school library working on my detailed plan. I've not worked on my bibliography yet, I will focus on the disserttion itself just now. Have you to have a first draft before the Christmas break? I do, so I'm a little nervous about that. :eek:
    We had to do that for Modern Studies, but not for English - we were actually only meant to have about 1,000 words so I'm well ahead. Thankfully my Modern Studies first draft was good enough to be a final draft so I can concentrate more on English - finishing it, I hope, over the Christmas holidays. How is your draft coming along?

ReputationRep:
    I am having a serious dissertation problem! My initial choice of texts (Jekyll and Hyde and Confessions of a Justified Sinner) fell apart and now I don't know what to do. I'd like to do The Great Gatsby because I love the book and know it really well but i can't think of anything to go with it. I managed to get away with not handing in my first draft but my teacher is expecting me to come up with a new idea and get writing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrypotterfreak)
    I am having a serious dissertation problem! My initial choice of texts (Jekyll and Hyde and Confessions of a Justified Sinner) fell apart and now I don't know what to do. I'd like to do The Great Gatsby because I love the book and know it really well but i can't think of anything to go with it. I managed to get away with not handing in my first draft but my teacher is expecting me to come up with a new idea and get writing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Eek! That's terrible!

Someone is doing Gatsby and two other texts (one a massive tome about banking) and is taking the angle of "The collapse of the American dream"...
    Catcher in the Rye might fit in with that too?

Not having studied the book much myself, that's really all the help I can give; sorry!

Hope you sort stuff out!

ReputationRep:
    Are we meant to have an extensive bibliography? Because other than a few websites and a book, I have nothing much at all.... I'm not sure when/how/if I should include secondary sources in the actual dissertation itself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahleslie1)
    Eek! That's terrible!

Someone is doing Gatsby and two other texts (one a massive tome about banking) and is taking the angle of "The collapse of the American dream"...
    Catcher in the Rye might fit in with that too?

Not having studied the book much myself, that's really all the help I can give; sorry!

Hope you sort stuff out!
    Thanks for the advice. I thought about doing the collapse of the American Dream, perhaps with American Psycho, or something to do with symbolism in1984 but my teacher said the first was too risky and the second too overdone. I might try for the second anyway. Oh well, it'll end up fine. At least...I hope it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoviolet)
    Are we meant to have an extensive bibliography? Because other than a few websites and a book, I have nothing much at all.... I'm not sure when/how/if I should include secondary sources in the actual dissertation itself?
    An English teacher other than my dissertation teacher said to me when I asked her how long would be good "2 pages would be impressive".

Mine runs to three with 1.5x line spacing and all the proper layout, but then when I showed it to my dissertation teacher he said "I think we could rationalise that" and didn't believe that I'd actually looked at all the sites/books! I eventually convinced him, though...

And I included several secondary source quotations in my actual dissertation

I'm not sure, however, how typical I am - I think my classmates only have a few websites apiece.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoviolet)

I don't think an extensive bibliography will matter much if your dissertation is strong. As for where to use them, I'm as clueless as you are. Are you supposed to quote and then pass comment? Or reference someone elses opinion to back up yours? (Is that not just showing unoriginality?) Fortunately for me I am nowhere near even writing mine thanks to the poor choice of texts.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think an extensive bibliography will matter much if your dissertation is strong. As for where to use them, I'm as clueless as you are. Are you supposed to quote and then pass comment? Or reference someone elses opinion to back up yours? (Is that not just showing unoriginality?) Fortunately for me I am nowhere near even writing mine thanks to the poor choice of texts.

Good Luck!
    I have done my intro and first chapter, so here are a couple of abbreviated examples of where I use secondary sources. They haven't been marked yet, though, so could be wrong. I basically use them when an author has summed up my viewpoint particularly aptly, or where they have had a good idea that I wouldn't want to just write out in case of being accused of plagerism. (Obviously the below quotations are referenced in my footnotes)

Carter [...] traditional tales as the basis of her stories in The Bloody Chamber, tying them in [...] sexuality [...].An apt description of these tales is:

“Carter’s tales fabricate new cultural and literary realities in which sexuality and free will in women replace the patriarchal traits of innocence and morality in traditional fairy tales.”

In these tales, there are no more princesses wasting away in towers, and the only men around are guaranteed to be villains, seeking to prey on the heroines.

In The Bloody Chamber, for example, we are horrified by the Marquis’ presumed sexual excitement at the sight of the corpses of his beautiful ex-wives – yet [...] [a]s Catherine Orenstein points out:

“The Grimms’ Snow White falls under a remarkably similar death spell after being poisoned… Prince Charming falls in love with her only after she has died and been laid out in a glass coffin. He even offers to buy the coffin from the dwarfs, so that he can take her home intact and preserved, and share his life with a corpse.”

Similar images of necrophilia also be seen in Sleeping Beauty,

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone fancy critiquing my efforts so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobby92)
    Does anyone fancy critiquing my efforts so far?
    I wouldn't mind (always interests me to see what other people are doing)... I've handed in the draft of my first chapter to my teacher so after I've got it back I'll have a better idea of what they're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    So, how is everyone getting on? Writing my dissertation has actually become quite fun, I feel like there's some sort of end in sight at last

Regarding bibliographies: I only have the books, a literary criticism book and a website so far. One of my books was written in 2003 so there's not exactly too much about it, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkatcait)
    So, how is everyone getting on? Writing my dissertation has actually become quite fun, I feel like there's some sort of end in sight at last

Regarding bibliographies: I only have the books, a literary criticism book and a website so far. One of my books was written in 2003 so there's not exactly too much about it, though.
    What are your texts?

I have yet to pin down my texts, never mind my bibliography, so I'm not exactly getting on very well at all but oh well, I'll get there eventually I'm sure. (probably 2 days before it's due)

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, well one of the texts is the same as the one you were doing, Confessions of a Justified Sinner, and the other is The Testament of Gideon Mack. Basically, I'm comparing the role of the Devil in each book and the themes it conveys.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, well one of the texts is the same as the one you were doing, Confessions of a Justified Sinner, and the other is The Testament of Gideon Mack. Basically, I'm comparing the role of the Devil in each book and the themes it conveys.
    Sounds like a good topic to explore.
    How are you getting on with Confessions? I really didn't like it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good topic to explore.
    How are you getting on with Confessions? I really didn't like it at all.
    Well at the start it was really hard going, I read it just as the summer holidays started and I was thinking, 'How the hell am I ever going to write anything decent about this?' However, Testament and Confessions are extremely similar - they have the same narrative structure, similar themes, and similar characters even though they're written about 200 years apart - so it's easy to point out the differences and similarities. The more I read Confessions, the easier it becomes, and the more I seem to appreciate it.

Good luck with finding some texts and a suitable question! I used to have a whole bunch of possible questions but I don't know where they went :/

ReputationRep:
    Well at the start it was really hard going, I read it just as the summer holidays started and I was thinking, 'How the hell am I ever going to write anything decent about this?' However, Testament and Confessions are extremely similar - they have the same narrative structure, similar themes, and similar characters even though they're written about 200 years apart - so it's easy to point out the differences and similarities. The more I read Confessions, the easier it becomes, and the more I seem to appreciate it.

Good luck with finding some texts and a suitable question! I used to have a whole bunch of possible questions but I don't know where they went :/
    I didn't really dislike reading it but when it came to writing about it I discovered I hated it.

I was pretty much forced into my original choice by my teacher who vetoed all my ideas and I think that's part of the reason I had so much trouble writing it. Now I've kind of ground to a halt and I've stopped reading potential books to read Gone With The Wind (which could take a while). I really want to get it sorted but I've hit a bit of a block.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't sound like much fun

I know the SQA have some example questions on their site (examples of both good and bad lines of argument); maybe they'd be helpful?

Here are a few links:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/4685.html

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/03mi...alistStudy.pdf

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/Spec...ble_Topics.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hey, how are people getting on with their dissertations? I have only written a couple of sections (first draft) and am totally panicking as the deadline approaches.
    Unfortunatley, I was unwell for quite a lot of Jan/Feb and I could barely do anything and now everything is happening at once. Eeeek!

I also wanted to ask for any advice anyone might have on the introduction (content, length etc). Thanks.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.