Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I do a computing MSc? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I graduated in Physics in 2014 but I have been unable to get any graduate work or work relevant to my degree that would in some way give me experience I want. I've spent my time since then being on JSA, working as a temp warehouse operator for 6 months and volunteering.

I have been looking around at masters all this time rather aimlessly as part of trying to work out what to do with my life since I am hitting a bit of a dead end. I found this MSc in computing which is aimed at people with no proper computing experience.

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/05G50800.jsp

Is this likely to improve my job prospects? I'm worried about just embarking on doing a masters for the sake of it and still being the same position I am now a year later. But considering I can't even get non skilled jobs it's not like I am earning anything at the moment.

Also I was focused and enjoyed my Physics undergraduate degree. I was motivated and felt like I had purpose which definitely played a part in being bale to do it and getting a 2:1. Just doing a masters in computing seems rather tedious and I don;t know whether I would be able to do well at it because of that.

I don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I graduated in Physics in 2014 but I have been unable to get any graduate work or work relevant to my degree that would in some way give me experience I want. I've spent my time since then being on JSA, working as a temp warehouse operator for 6 months and volunteering.

I have been looking around at masters all this time rather aimlessly as part of trying to work out what to do with my life since I am hitting a bit of a dead end. I found this MSc in computing which is aimed at people with no proper computing experience.

Is this likely to improve my job prospects? I'm worried about just embarking on doing a masters for the sake of it and still being the same position I am now a year later. But considering I can't even get non skilled jobs it's not like I am earning anything at the moment.

Also I was focused and enjoyed my Physics undergraduate degree. I was motivated and felt like I had purpose which definitely played a part in being bale to do it and getting a 2:1. Just doing a masters in computing seems rather tedious and I don;t know whether I would be able to do well at it because of that.

I don't know what to do
    An MSc without work experience is unlikely to help you break into IT. If that's the way you want to go, you could probably find more industry-focussed non-academic training courses. "IT" is a huge group of disciplines, so you first need to know what you want to do. Some of the jobs I did in my 20+ career included:

Systems analyst
    Database design
    User testing
    Programming
    Database management
    Systems documentation
    User support
    Helpdesk
    Implementation
    Change management
    Project management
    Capacity/performance analysis
    Problem/incident management
    Service delivery management
    PC support
    Email support
    Account management....

...and those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head!

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to my world sonny. I graduated in 2010 and am still not in graduate work. I'm working as an invoice processing monkey at a council. Very dull job but okay money and I have a 4 day week. I say just enjoy life best you can until you are lucky enough to land a graduate job. If your heart is not really set on uni then don't waste your money going back to it because it may turn out being just another piece of useless paper.

Whether you get a grad job or not is about luck these days, not intelligence. All the dumb ***** who are good at acting get jobs. Maybe that's what us physicists should be doing? taking acting lessons so we can compete with the professional actors for these coveted graduate jobs. What do you reckon?

oh btw, is it worth seeing spectre in 4k? Two options at my local cinema: 4k and standard - can't decide
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

Just thought I'd try and offer some advice if I can. Continuing your studies is no small decision, it's an investment for your future so you want to make the correct one.

At Bradford we offer an MSc in Computing which is designed for students who haven't studied a Computing Bachelors but want to progress into this area of study as a future career. As an example, one of our students Rob Norvill is studying the course part time around his hectic life but has fully immersed himself into the course to get the most out of it. He's loved it so much he'll soon be going on to do his PhD. He's an example of how if you really want to do something, and you have the passion to do it, the rewards speak for themselves.

The Prospects website also has some useful information about how a Masters can benefit your career.

If you'd like more information, I'm more than happy to help.

AJ

ReputationRep:

I don't know what to do
    I would agree with others about points they have made
    1) A masters on its own doesn't lead to enhanced career prospects.
    2) It's not a commitment to be taken lightly- if you are already saying it seems tedious you will have a year of hell basically doing it in something you aren't committed to.

Honestly your best bet is to get in touch with the careers dept a your old uni- they are there for their grads in the first couple of years post uni and they should be able to offer help on where you are stuck.

ReputationRep:

I don't know what to do
    it's another highly competitive field. I would recommended taking a short course online in computing or whatever particular area you are interested in. I find a lot of people quickly realise it's not really for them.

Majority of my mates who did computing then went on to do other stuff totally unrelated as they hated it. A lot of the jobs are being outsourced but it's still a lucrative field for the time being. Most successful people tend to put in a considerable amounts of self learning too. P.S in this particular field EXPERIENCE matters a lot more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    it's another highly competitive field. I would recommended taking a short course online in computing or whatever particular area you are interested in. I find a lot of people quickly realise it's not really for them.

Majority of my mates who did computing then went on to do other stuff totally unrelated as they hated it. A lot of the jobs are being outsourced but it's still a lucrative field for the time being. Most successful people tend to put in a considerable amounts of self learning too. P.S in this particular field EXPERIENCE matters a lot more!
    I don't take life advice from trolls.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's a bit mean considering i took the time to offer you advice? not what you wanted to hear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Welcome to my world sonny. I graduated in 2010 and am still not in graduate work. I'm working as an invoice processing monkey at a council. Very dull job but okay money and I have a 4 day week. I say just enjoy life best you can until you are lucky enough to land a graduate job. If your heart is not really set on uni then don't waste your money going back to it because it may turn out being just another piece of useless paper.

Whether you get a grad job or not is about luck these days, not intelligence. All the dumb ***** who are good at acting get jobs. Maybe that's what us physicists should be doing? taking acting lessons so we can compete with the professional actors for these coveted graduate jobs. What do you reckon?

oh btw, is it worth seeing spectre in 4k? Two options at my local cinema: 4k and standard - can't decide
    :teeth:

All the more time to spend rock climbing.

Wait wut? You're a physics grad?? Why are all physics people weirdoes?

Dunno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Well that's a bit mean considering i took the time to offer you advice? not what you wanted to hear?

ReputationRep:
    :teeth:

All the more time to spend rock climbing.

Wait wut? You're a physics grad?? Why are all physics people weirdoes?

Dunno.
    actually i'm a geophysics grad. I did all the cool physics **** in physics dept and all the cool geophysics **** in geophysics dept. :cool: P.S: vegan rock climber physicists rule :woo:

I made really good progress on my iron cross training at the climbing wall today! I also did a muscle up on gymnastics rings, twice! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    well enjoy the warehouse

LOL

ReputationRep:
    Bill_Gates kicking ass as usual

ReputationRep:

I don't know what to do
    Same position as OP. Was considering something else but saw the conversion course.

I've been self studying to see if I like it and that's the only thing I can advise. You are a physics guy so I imagine you'd be good at it.

Is funding an issue too?

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend Staffordshire university for distance learning. I'm only part way through my course (a different one) but it feels worthwhile so far.

Only you know what you really want to do. On the one hand don't do something for the sake of it but on the other it is good to keep an open mind and try new things.

Remember if you're a part time student it should not affect most benefits but if you're a full time student it is likely to.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.