Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello....
    I am clearly a novice AS OCR chemistry (A) student and I need help please....
    I need some general guidance to state symbols e.g. Water is (l) nitrates are generally (aqueous), are metals solid apart from Mercury?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Basically, anything that is a precipitate in a reaction is (s), any pure liquid is (l) (usually only water), and anything dissolved in anything else, so pretty much all acids and alkalis, are (aq). Hope I helped.

ReputationRep:
    What about chlorine, iodine (eg Group 7 and group 1)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlo.Harr)
    Hello....
    I am clearly a novice AS OCR chemistry (A) student and I need help please....
    I need some general guidance to state symbols e.g. Water is (l) nitrates are generally (aqueous), are metals solid apart from Mercury?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely you did this at GCSE.

aq = aqueous
    g = gas
    l = liquid
    s = solid

Yes all metals are solid apart from Hg. You will not find Hg reactions in your course. If you do I'll be one of the first to know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlo.Harr)
    What about chlorine, iodine (eg Group 7 and group 1)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you mean bonded? Well they form ions that depending on what you're reacting them as will probably be dissolved therefore (aq). If they become precipitated then (s).

On their own Group 7 are (g) and Group 1 (s).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozzin)
    Do you mean bonded? Well they form ions that depending on what you're reacting them as will probably be dissolved therefore (aq). If they become precipitated then (s).

On their own Group 7 are (g) and Group 1 (s).
    F2 and Cl2 are gases, Br2 is liquid and I2 is solid (at RTP)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    F2 and Cl2 are gases, Br2 is liquid and I2 is solid (at RTP)
    Indeed they are, I should probably read my textbook again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.