Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Examine the way the relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth is portrayed in Macbeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Social)
    Examine the way the relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth is portrayed in Macbeth.
    lady macbeth is shown as a strong woman who has much control over what her husband does. macbeth is shown as nor being in charge in their relationship which is uncomman as men were usually in charge whilst the women would be the weak ones

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=candycaneland500;60261203]lady macbeth is shown as a strong woman who has much control over what her husband does. macbeth is shown as nor being in charge in their relationship which is uncomman as men were usually in charge whilst the women would be the weak ones[

Thanks I like the idea about her control. I've drafted my coursework on this question already and am just looking for any more perceptive, inconspicuous points I could add in, maybe about the change in their relationship dynamic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Social)

I don't think she ever really controls him- I think lady Macbeth enhances his already present ambition- she adds to it- just like she adds to his name 'lady'. She plays and torments his masculinity and causes him to do terrible things that he may not have acted on otherwise- but Macbeth does want to do this as at the beginning of the play he thinks about murdering Duncan-" why doth this horrid image unfix my hair"(something along the lines). Towards the end Macbeth no longer needs her- and he goes into isolation- he acts on his own without her spurring him on- so LM is no longer needed and their relationship falls apart.

I haven't studied Macbeth properly since year 9- so I might be a little off on quotes xD- but my CA is on Macbeth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    I don't think she ever really controls him- I think lady Macbeth enhances his already present ambition- she adds to it- just like she adds to his name 'lady'. She plays and torments his masculinity and causes him to do terrible things that he may not have acted on otherwise- but Macbeth does want to do this as at the beginning of the play he thinks about murdering Duncan-" why doth this horrid image unfix my hair"(something along the lines). Towards the end Macbeth no longer needs her- and he goes into isolation- he acts on his own without her spurring him on- so LM is no longer needed and their relationship falls apart.

I haven't studied Macbeth properly since year 9- so I might be a little off on quotes xD- but my CA is on Macbeth

Thanks for the response! Strangely enough I mentioned something like that in my essay: that she adds (literally and figuratively) something to his name, but on the flipside, only has an identity (again, literally and figuratively) through her husband. The first time we witness her is in an act of ventriloquism; she focuses so entirely on her power and control, yet ultimately can never have any.

The points you mentioned about her influence on him were something I wanted to ask about. I've discussed in my essay the idea of Original Sin and LM's potential connections (snakes!) with that, exploring the ideas that LM is responsible, through her cunning and manipulation, for her husband's downfall. Could you offer any points for an alternate interpretation in which Macbeth is the culprit?? Many thanks again

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.