Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've burnt out and I don't know what to do watch

Announcements

I have had a very very stressful year. I don't deal with stress well at all (leads to depression, SH, disordered eating, sleep issues, constant headaches). I didn't get a summer holiday because of work experience working 9-5 with an hour's commute each way, I sat my AS levels in the summer, and I've just applied to university. The pressure is too much and I can't deal with it. It's thursday night now, and I have coursework I haven't started yet due by tomorrow, a research poster to make for tuesday (plus familiarising myself with the content of my report because it wasn't comprehensive enough for them to award me the CREST award straight off and they need to talk to me), I'm doing 4 A-levels, my girlfriend broke up with me 2 months ago and I am not over her at all, I have an interview a week today and another the next monday, both of which are 4 hours away by train - I'm going to miss a lot of school which means more and more catching up. My grades are slipping - I'm supposed to be a straight A* student, but I'm barely scraping Bs recently. Whenever I sit down to do work, I get through a couple of questions before I break down crying.

Please, someone, tell me how to fix myself so that I can get through this year and reach my dream before the journey kills me.

ReputationRep:
    Breathe and say repeat the following “ one step at a time.”

Emotions are what makes us human, but they are crazy. I know you feel so incredibly overwhelmed right now but trust me when I say everything will work out. You have more in you than you know. You can and you will handle this. You can’t work to your best ability when your mind has ran away.

You’re hurting right now and it’s okay to feel the way you do, but sometimes we’re so much harder on ourselves than on others. You still have time till final exams- You are capable of A*’s but B grades are where you are right now and that may not be ideal but it’s good enough for the time being.

You need to acknowledge your feelings and essentially let yourself grieve over your relationship breakdown because you have lost someone you cared about and that’s not easy. Is there anyone you can talk to in real life? GP/ school counsellor/friends ?
    Make a list of every task you have to do and give it a number. 1 being the most important and so on and try to work in 25 min slots. Could you take your books with you and get some work done on the train?

You need to find a ways to help calm yourself down, what do you like to do? Please try to take it easy- if you find you can’t get out of bed that’s okay- you will heal, you just need time.

ReputationRep:
    Write lists. Check them off.

Personally, when I see everything written down it makes it so much more manageable. You have to write down everything that is worrying you. Then if there is something that you can do about it, highlight it. If there isn't, cross it off. Then make a timetable for the things that you can do something about. Schedule your time, compartmentalize things. You wouldn't try to swallow a whole meal at once - you cut it into pieces. Same with problems/tasks, break it all down and schedule it. Make sure you schedule rest time.

The key is to stay on top of things and not let things get on top of you. At the moment, you're overwhelmed - it gets worse if you let it overpower you. Get back on top of things ASAP and organize things. Talk to someone you trust and make sure you make time to enjoy your life outside of studies.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.