Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! For a long time my dream has been to become a professor and teach Classics at university level. Growing up and realising that life isn't so simple I've realised that for a PHD/Masters its going to cost a lot, and there is no concrete loan system in place. Now when I say my dream I mean that this is the career I want so much! I love the field and teaching is clearly where my career is headed towards. I would love to do my own research and publish my own books on matters in the field, its a geeky dream but a dream for me!

In relation to the finances I've had to reconsider, I'm not sure if its feasible to find that money and if I do, I'll be in so much debt. I spoke to my partner who said we save up and that made me realise that after university I'm going to have so much troubles, is a PHD/Masters wise at the time? It'll be crushing if I give up on this as its something I would love to do, but I need to be realistic right?

ReputationRep:
    Apply for funding. On the basis that it is rare though, if it is your dream I would urge you to find ways to facilitate it. It could be quite painful to deny yourself something if you know it is very valuable to you.

Part time study and arranging payment plans with the uni, studying locally or distance learning are a number of some of the steps you could take to try making the cost of a masters as manageable as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Hello! For a long time my dream has been to become a professor and teach Classics at university level. Growing up and realising that life isn't so simple I've realised that for a PHD/Masters its going to cost a lot, and there is no concrete loan system in place. Now when I say my dream I mean that this is the career I want so much! I love the field and teaching is clearly where my career is headed towards. I would love to do my own research and publish my own books on matters in the field, its a geeky dream but a dream for me!

In relation to the finances I've had to reconsider, I'm not sure if its feasible to find that money and if I do, I'll be in so much debt. I spoke to my partner who said we save up and that made me realise that after university I'm going to have so much troubles, is a PHD/Masters wise at the time? It'll be crushing if I give up on this as its something I would love to do, but I need to be realistic right?
    Achieving a doctorate is long and tough even for really committed students who also don't have any major problems during the process. In Classics, as in the rest of the humanities, postdoctoral job opportunities within academia are limited and the competition for them is very fierce. You should also talk to some full-time academics who work in Classics about the realities of day-to-day life as a lecturer: there are good things about being an academic, but even for established scholars the job involves a lot of admin, fighting for funding, REF submissions, and grindingly long committee meetings. It's not all about the pleasure of making new discoveries and of that moment when a student 'gets it' for the first time!

If you're an early career academic, you're also very likely to have to move between several fixed-term, short-term jobs in different parts of the country before you have any reliable shot at permanent work, and the permanent positions which are available at the time may be in places you wouldn't have chosen to live in otherwise. And bear in mind that I'm talking about the lucky people who actually get through postgraduate study and manage to find work in the field afterwards.

That's not to say that you shouldn't give it a try, but I really strongly recommend you talk to lots of people in the field and give yourself a realistic perspective on what pursuing it as a career is likely to mean. You should also talk to your partner not just about finances but about the potential disruption and dislocation to both of your lives. You're much more likely to enjoy the experience if you go in with your eyes open.

There is funding available to pay for postgraduate study in Classics, slightly more for the PhD stage than for the masters stage and very little overall compared to the numbers competing for it. To win funding you will need to be a good candidate academically, but also a candidate with research interests which seem timely and which suit the institution you're applying to. You will also need to be very very lucky. At the postdoctoral application level PhD funding is sometimes used by appointment committees as a rough and ready index of academic excellence, which is another argument against doing a PhD without funding unless you are very committed and very informed.

ReputationRep:
    Just because something is likely to come with obstacles it doesn't mean that:

A. Having such dreams means you're unaware of such obstacles.

B. The end goal isn't worth pursuing.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.