Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Withdrew from course due to lack of funds. Lecturer wants to pay my fees watch

Announcements

I am a Romanian orphan and I moved to the UK 10 years ago. I was adopted by a couple but they died after only two years. I then went to foster care and moved into a council flat when I was too old to be in foster care.

I managed to do really well in school and got into Medical school. I have worked very very hard as a support worker to fund my studies so far and I am in my final year now with only 6 months left. I'm easily passing. But I have not been able to do as many hours at work as I was expecting as my concentration was going due to doing too many extra hours (I was working day and night) and I'm short by just over £2000.

I managed to get some money from the access to learning fund for living costs but it won't help to pay off the fees.

When I withdrew via a form online my lecturer called me and said he had paid my tuition fees in full and I more than anyone deserve to be on the course and qualify and make a good income for myself.

I'm obviously delighted but I'm worried it's illegal and/or will make my degree invalid in some way. Even if not do you think it's morally wrong to just accept the money?

My lecturer is my personal tutor and knows the basic details about my life. I know he feels sorry for me.

He doesn't find me attractive. I'm male, she is a straight married man. He's just a really kind person.

ReputationRep:
    Wow incredible story! And hes right, your situation is incredible! Go you! 🙌

ReputationRep:
    He's doing you a solid, there are decent people out there so take it and be grateful

I don't think it's illegal at all, you're all good no worries! If you are worried I would look at the policies of paying fees your uni has (don't directly ask them, that could invalidate you!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    she is a straight married man
    i got sum bad newz brah

ReputationRep:
    I think he understands the value of this degree, and would also be distraught to see those years you put in go to waste. No, I don't think it makes your degree illegal/invalid. But if he has already done it, accept the money and pay back ASAP

Very dedicated lecturer..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    she is a straight married man.
    She is a man?

What is done is fine. All he's done is paid your fees. You still have to attain the degree and then I would also consider paying him back once you get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am a Romanian orphan and I moved to the UK 10 years ago. I was adopted by a couple but they died after only two years. I then went to foster care and moved into a council flat when I was too old to be in foster care.

I managed to do really well in school and got into Medical school. I have worked very very hard as a support worker to fund my studies so far and I am in my final year now with only 6 months left. I'm easily passing. But I have not been able to do as many hours at work as I was expecting as my concentration was going due to doing too many extra hours (I was working day and night) and I'm short by just over £2000.

I managed to get some money from the access to learning fund for living costs but it won't help to pay off the fees.

When I withdrew via a form online my lecturer called me and said he had paid my tuition fees in full and I more than anyone deserve to be on the course and qualify and make a good income for myself.

I'm obviously delighted but I'm worried it's illegal and/or will make my degree invalid in some way. Even if not do you think it's morally wrong to just accept the money?

My lecturer is my personal tutor and knows the basic details about my life. I know he feels sorry for me.

He doesn't find me attractive. I'm male, she is a straight married man. He's just a really kind person.
    There's nothing illegal about it, and no it won't invalidate your degree. You have been very lucky to come across such a generous lecturer. Wish you the best of luck in medical school.

ReputationRep:
    This is a heartwarming story. Please do well and pass your degree with flying colours.

Thank your lecturer and remember what they did for you. In the future when you are able, pass on this generosity to someone else in need.

He has said he does not want the money back at all. He's given it to me and it is not a loan. thank you for then replies. I was just panicking that I would be seen as being favoured and my degree not valid or something along those lines.
    He's been very kind. He has from the beginning of the course. Almost everyone else on the course is from a privileged background so I think it's fairly unusual for someone like me to be in medical school.

The 'she' was obviously a typing mistake. The replies about it are immature.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.