Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Personal statement help (URGENT PLSS) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im currently writing my personal statement for pharmacy and I feel like it is very rushed and not in a high standard. I know how competitive this course is so I was wondering if anyone is able to help me with this as Im applying to top universities with not the best AS grades (BBCC). I also had some hospital work experience which I don't know how to relate to pharmacy and I might apply to one Optometry course so I want to talk about that too.
    Anyway I will really appreciate if anyone experienced can have a look, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souhm)
    Hi, Im currently writing my personal statement for pharmacy and I feel like it is very rushed and not in a high standard. I know how competitive this course is so I was wondering if anyone is able to help me with this as Im applying to top universities with not the best AS grades (BBCC). I also had some hospital work experience which I don't know how to relate to pharmacy and I might apply to one Optometry course so I want to talk about that too.
    Hey, make sure you don't post your personal statement. It will be flagged as plagiarised by UCAS once you send it off. You'l have to start again. I wouldn't advise showing your PS to anyone on the internet, it might end up in the wrong hands or worse. Why don't you just ask people who are meant to help like your progress tutor/teachers?

ReputationRep:
    Private message me your personal statement and I'll be able to have a look at it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randall13)
    Private message me your personal statement and I'll be able to have a look at it for you.
    Don't say that. Noone should show their PS to anyone online. It's just not safe
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by souhm)
    Ask you teachers or family to read it. Don't share it with strangers on the internet.

You have no way of verifying the identity of people on TSR, even with proof that they might be already at university doesn't actually give them any insight into university admissions and the requirements of a PS (and no guarantees that they would be as careful with your PS as you are).

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/per...ake_some_notes has some general guidance on what you should and shouldn't include (and if you follow it through each stage it will give you some automated feedback).

There's some specific advice here: http://university.which.co.uk/advice...dvice-pharmacy

ReputationRep:
    omf i read this post like "is this me?!" I got BBCC and I'm (was until they changed my predicted grades -_-) applying to pharmacy! i've done my personal statement

basically i've been told it's meant to be like 80% academic and 20% extra curriculars etc
    so i wrote about my skills (leadership, communication), where i got them (doing Crest Awards or something), when i got them (year 12) and how i got them (elected leader of group, organised meetings etc) then i linked it back to pharmacy and how these skills would help (because i'd be working closely with other health professionals etc) so basically if you can write this kinda stuff for all the transferable skills you have that would be great. That's the 20% that's last though! for the beginning part i wrote about books i read, podcasts i listened too, how my love for chemistry and biology drove that and examples of things we learned in those subjects that comes up in the pharmacy modules (research the common modules in all unis for pharmacy and relate them!)

that should give you a 7/10 personal statement atleast - like the core of it
    then you could add stuff it, take stuff out, make it your own and make it real personal

good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    omf i read this post like "is this me?!" I got BBCC and I'm (was until they changed my predicted grades -_-) applying to pharmacy! i've done my personal statement

basically i've been told it's meant to be like 80% academic and 20% extra curriculars etc
    so i wrote about my skills (leadership, communication), where i got them (doing Crest Awards or something), when i got them (year 12) and how i got them (elected leader of group, organised meetings etc) then i linked it back to pharmacy and how these skills would help (because i'd be working closely with other health professionals etc) so basically if you can write this kinda stuff for all the transferable skills you have that would be great. That's the 20% that's last though! for the beginning part i wrote about books i read, podcasts i listened too, how my love for chemistry and biology drove that and examples of things we learned in those subjects that comes up in the pharmacy modules (research the common modules in all unis for pharmacy and relate them!)

that should give you a 7/10 personal statement atleast - like the core of it
    then you could add stuff it, take stuff out, make it your own and make it real personal

good luck !
    haha thanks and which unis are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souhm)
    haha thanks and which unis are you applying for?
    well i'm not applying anymore - i finished my application but then my biology teachers decided to predict me a B not an A so i ended up with BBB predictions and now the best i can apply to is hertfordshire and i'm not doing that so i'm taking a gap year now

when my prediction was meant to be ABB i put Reading, Medway, Hertfordshire, Manchester and Brighton

Brighton would've been my number 1... sighhhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    well i'm not applying anymore - i finished my application but then my biology teachers decided to predict me a B not an A so i ended up with BBB predictions and now the best i can apply to is hertfordshire and i'm not doing that so i'm taking a gap year now

when my prediction was meant to be ABB i put Reading, Medway, Hertfordshire, Manchester and Brighton

Brighton would've been my number 1... sighhhhhhhhh
    What do you think of Brighton? is it good? Good luck by the way for the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souhm)
    What do you think of Brighton? is it good? Good luck by the way for the future
    Yeahhh! I've always wanted to go to Brighton or Sussex (they're starting the MPharm course in September 2016!) but Brighton looks reallllyyy good

hey it may be 21st for Pharmacy but still it looks AMAZING and I love Brighton as an area to live, it's like a chill London with a pier and idk i just really like it haha it's a change from the city life... and the uni is quite good i've heard too!

and thanks gonna need it haha

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.