Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The body we are wearing today is not the same body we were wearing five years ago.
    We are now wearing a completely recycled body. In effect, we have each changed bodies. Every rhythmic element of matter—every vibrating atom—is different.
    This might well be compared to a waterfall. The water within a waterfall is always changing. From moment to moment, the waterfall will be made up of different water. Therefore, the waterfall we see today is not the same waterfall we saw yesterday.
    Since each of us is the same person from moment to moment and year to year within an ever-changing body, logically we each have an identity separate from this temporary vehicle. We cannot be the body, since the body has been replaced while we are still here. If we look at our photograph taken five years ago, we will be looking at a completely different body from the one we are wearing today. The very eyes looking at the eyes in the picture are different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We possess souls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    The body we are wearing today is not the same body we were wearing five years ago.
    We are now wearing a completely recycled body. In effect, we have each changed bodies. Every rhythmic element of matter—every vibrating atom—is different.
    This might well be compared to a waterfall. The water within a waterfall is always changing. From moment to moment, the waterfall will be made up of different water. Therefore, the waterfall we see today is not the same waterfall we saw yesterday.
    Since each of us is the same person from moment to moment and year to year within an ever-changing body, logically we each have an identity separate from this temporary vehicle. We cannot be the body, since the body has been replaced while we are still here. If we look at our photograph taken five years ago, we will be looking at a completely different body from the one we are wearing today. The very eyes looking at the eyes in the picture are different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well everybody on here already knows ImNotReallyMe

ReputationRep:
    That, unfortunately, is false.

Most of our neurons do not replace themselves, and a great deal of the atoms that make up the neurons are the same as when we were a child.

This is based on the assumption that the "us" is the same as it was 5 years ago.

If our brains our under the impression that it is the same person as it was 5 years ago, then any entity that uses said brain would think the same.

Of course, all of this assumes that we have an identity at all.

ReputationRep:
    spooky fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    Then who are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    That, unfortunately, is false.

Most of our neurons do not replace themselves, and a great deal of the atoms that make up the neurons are the same as when we were a child.

This is based on the assumption that the "us" is the same as it was 5 years ago.

If our brains our under the impression that it is the same person as it was 5 years ago, then any entity that uses said brain would think the same.

Of course, all of this assumes that we have an identity at all.
    http://www.nature.com/news/new-brain...mories-1.15186

http://m.livescience.com/505-adult-b...s-growing.html

These people lied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    have you ever wondered who am i, like deeply who the **** am i and what am i doing in life , it scares the **** out of me thinking like that

ReputationRep:
    If that were true at least we could describe ourselves as an "energy signature".

ReputationRep:
    Wandering star dust
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    guinea pigs

ReputationRep:
    They didnt lie, you just dont understand what they are saying.

The first article points out one of the reasons our neurons generally dont regenerate. Our brains rely on a network of connections. The pattern of that network is our memories. If you start replacing neurons, you mess up the pattern.

The second article just points out that parts of some neurons change.

ReputationRep:
    Then who are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Absolutely no one
    no soul, no anything

i'm a biological entity that is built with a psyche that is capable of performing the functions of consciousness and thought

my thoughts think, because the very act of thinking is done by thoughts, but thinking alongside consciousness, give the illusion that there is a 'you' and that this 'you' is observing the thoughts, but that's just consciousness

When someone loses consciousness, there's absolute blank, and that's because that's all there is
    Do you remember what it was like before you were born?
    That's what it's going to be like when you're dead too
    so enjoy your life because it's a strange experience, but it's all we've got

We may not be the same body. We may not be the same mind. We may not be the same conscious. Despite this though. It is our identity. Change is our identity.

ReputationRep:
    A human is a brain that's surrounded by a unique body that eventually dies off. The network of electrical/chemical messages that is our consciousness is what we are, in my opinion. I don't believe in anything as silly as a soul, instead opting for this more reasonable explanation. As a disclaimer, I am by no means an expert on Neuroscience, but this is my basic understanding of what goes on in the brain and nervous system in general.

ReputationRep:
    Have you had of Aristotles' concept of hylomorphism? Or, more accurately, the more nuanced form thought of by Aquinas? That's the stance I hold; I feel it's the most likely thing to match up with modern neuroscience.

I know this forum is predominately atheistic / naturalistic, but I think it's more sensible than people might initially realise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH127)
    A human is a brain that's surrounded by a unique body that eventually dies off. The network of electrical/chemical messages that is our consciousness is what we are, in my opinion. I don't believe in anything as silly as a soul, instead opting for this more reasonable explanation. As a disclaimer, I am by no means an expert on Neuroscience, but this is my basic understanding of what goes on in the brain and nervous system in general.
    It might be more correct to say a "person" is a part of a brain, but that's pretty much the gist of it.

(Original post by The Assassin)
    Have you had of Aristotles' concept of hylomorphism? Or, more accurately, the more nuanced form thought of by Aquinas? That's the stance I hold; I feel it's the most likely thing to match up with modern neuroscience.I know this forum is predominately atheistic / naturalistic, but I think it's more sensible than people might initially realise.
    Interesting, I had never heard of the concept, though have had heard of similar concepts. If I understand it correctly, it's the idea that the "soul" is more of a property or description of a living thing, rather than something a living thing has.

ReputationRep:
    I am only ever myself in the present.
    "Present-me" is the only "me" that exists, "past-me" is a memory, and "future-me" is an idea. All of my sense of identity comes from my brain.
    I'm happy enough with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    Great Banter

ReputationRep:
    well... we don't change in one split second it happens over time it's not like

but yeah we physically aren't the same object BUT the DNA that made these cells is exactly the same, and the cells that are made are clones of the cells that were in us so maybe we are just clones of ourselves?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.