Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Israel activism criminalised in the Land of "Free Speech" and Charlie Hebdo watch

ReputationRep:
    It appears that some activism against the Israeli occupation of Palestine is now being banned in France, where the "march" for "free speech" took place after the Charlie Hebdo shootings.

An interesting but predictable double standard.

https://theintercept.com/2015/10/27/...-speech-march/

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

Did Charlie Hebdo ever produce cartoons and articles unfavorable to Israel or the Jewish religion? They are a left wing anti-theist satirical news outlet so I doubt they didn't...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    *sigh*

Did Charlie Hebdo ever produce cartoons and articles unfavorable to Israel? They are a left wing satirical news outlet so I doubt they didn't...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...kozy-jibe.html

ReputationRep:
    lol trust you, OP, to go on a rant on people murdered due to making jokes about Islam. You have now officially spent more time on this forum whining about them than you have on criticising ISIS.

Good job

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok then. I guess freedom of speech doesn't quite exist there. I can see why you can argue that anti-semetic speech should be clamped down on in an authoritarian way that goes against the concept of free speech, given the history in Europe. Although I always side with the concept that free speech should exist no matter what. This instance probably is an example of antisemitism playing on the Jewish conspiracy myth and it's pretty ****y. Although I don't know why Charlie Hebdo are aloud to draw the cartons about Muhammad and Muslims but can not do the same with Jewish people. Seem hypocritical.

But what if a journalist did genuinely think someone was become Jewish for financial reasons? That kind of thing does exist in religion in general. Corruption and so forth. Would that be labled as hate speech by default?

Why is thinking and expressing the view that Israel is occupying the Gaza strip inherently anti-Semitic? If you ask me the the laws banning hate speech are being abused here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    lol trust you, OP, to go on a rant on people murdered due to making jokes about Islam. You have now officially spent more time on this forum whining about them than you have on criticising ISIS.

Good job
    It's because we all agree ISIS are awful. There is no debate as to whether ISIS are awful. There is a debate to be had around Israel and Palistien.

Also he wasn't ranting against Hebdo. Just the hypocrisy in saying you stand up for free speech on one hand and then outlawing it on the other.

ReputationRep:
    So after poking through that very one-sided and hyperbolic article I find they were not convicted for 'Anti-Isreali activism' but for handing out 'boycott, divestment and sanctions' leaflets. Nationality is one of the metrics of discrimination in the law so that's why they were convicted. I would've been totally against it if they were jailed, instead they've been fined for quite a bit of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Oh ok then. I guess freedom of speech doesn't quite exist there. I can see why you can argue that anti-semetic speech should be clamped down on in an authoritarian way that goes against the concept of free speech, given the history in Europe. Although I always side with the concept that free speech should exist no matter what. This instance probably is an example of antisemitism playing on the Jewish conspiracy myth and it's pretty ****y. Although I don't know why Charlie Hebdo are aloud to draw the cartons about Muhammad and Muslims but can not do the same with Jewish people. Seem hypocritical.

But what if a journalist did genuinely think someone was become Jewish for financial reasons? That kind of thing does exist in religion in general. Corruption and so forth. Would that be labled as hate speech by default?

Why is thinking and expressing the view that Israel is occupying the Gaza strip inherently anti-Semitic? If you ask me the the laws banning hate speech are being abused here.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    It appears that some activism against the Israeli occupation of Palestine is now being banned in France, where the "march" for "free speech" took place after the Charlie Hebdo shootings.

An interesting but predictable double standard.

https://theintercept.com/2015/10/27/...-speech-march/
    What could be construed as 'anti jewish' behaviour is being clamped down on a country that is seeing a significant increase in anti semetic attacks, an increase in the extreme right, a growing population of radicalised Arabs and the guilt of being a little bit over enthusiastic in WW2 assisting Germany in deporting Jews.

Who'd have thunk it.

ReputationRep:
    France is under Jewish occupation the Jewish lobbies influence it all from immigration, foreign policy..

Viva la resistance

Resist AskeNAZI occupation

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.