Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Commuting in second year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am in my first year at university, and have been here for just over a month now. So far I have been enjoying all aspects of university life, both academic and social. All of my flatmates are absolutely brilliant and it already feels as though we are a big family.

Although I am enjoying myself, I have been thinking a lot about the two years that will follow this one - in terms of accommodation. Perhaps it is way too early to even begin considering this, but my flatmates have already started mentioning their plans for next year - with some saying that people ought to get their foot in the door of their digs for the second year during the Christmas break. For the past few days I have been doing all manner of research on possible options. At the moment, commuting is looking pretty good.

My university is relatively local to me. To drive it would take you around 50 minutes (traffic considerations excluded), and from my local station it is a 30 minute train ride. To take the train would be approximately be a one hour door-to-door commute. I am able to drive and have a car at home, but my university does not offer on-campus parking and the thought of driving in for 9AM is understandably off-putting. So of the two, commuting by train seems more viable.

Whilst I am not opposed to the idea of shared housing next year (and the year afterwards), I cannot help but feel that living at home would be so much more convenient for me. Before posting this, I have read a number of posts on the Student Room and other sites about this issue. In most cases it seems to concern those who were considering commuting from their first year onwards. The main argument against this seemed to be that they would be missing out on the social aspects of student/university life. In my case, however, it would be during my second and third year that I would commute in. This year, living in halls, I plan on making the most of the carefree student life - with parties and nights out in clubs. I do enjoy this, but in my second and third year (when it actually counts), would I really be missing out on much by living at home?

Considering how much we now have to pay out to attend university, I really want to make sure that I get my money's worth - in the form of a decent degree. As such, in my second and third year I mean to really keep my nose to grindstone in order to do well. I enjoy drinking and partying well enough, but what am I really getting into all this debt for? At home I would have a relaxed environment to study in, without having to worry about rent, bills, and where my next meal would be coming from. Of course, I have plenty of friends still living at home, as well as all my family.

I am aware that by living at home, you receive a reduced (I am unsure how significantly) maintenance loan. However, my primary expense when commuting by train would be tickets - as I would likely opt for a monthly/ annual pass. I would not have to pay rent (though I would insist on paying board to my parents), bills, or buy food. To me, it seems like a more economical and less stressful (although I am aware that trains and time-keeping can be rather exhausting) alternative.

As I am living in halls during my first year, I do not see the drawbacks on the social aspect of university life when commuting for the following years. I have already made friends in my block, on my course, and outside of it. My intention is to make some great memories this year before really getting on with my studies in my second and third year - which I believe is a good balance between the social and academic elements that university promised. And what's to stop me crashing at a friends' house next year for the odd party?

I would like to hear other peoples' thoughts on this, as at the moment I am really trying to gather different opinions before making a decision. Of course, it is still early days and I am really just weighing up all the different options here. It would be really great to hear about current or past commuters' experiences, and whether or not they would recommend it. What are contact hours like during the second and third year, compared to the first?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sorry, I got to the end of your first paragraph and have to say this:

IT IS WAY TOO EARLY TO BE TALKING ABOUT ACCOMMODATION FOR NEXT YEAR.

Bournemouth Uni SU has a great article on their website about not renting yet, in fact part of a wider national campaign 'Don't rent yet!': http://www.subu.org.uk/dontrentyet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rs517)
    Hello,

I am in my first year at university, and have been here for just over a month now. So far I have been enjoying all aspects of university life, both academic and social. All of my flatmates are absolutely brilliant and it already feels as though we are a big family.

Although I am enjoying myself, I have been thinking a lot about the two years that will follow this one - in terms of accommodation. Perhaps it is way too early to even begin considering this, but my flatmates have already started mentioning their plans for next year - with some saying that people ought to get their foot in the door of their digs for the second year during the Christmas break. For the past few days I have been doing all manner of research on possible options. At the moment, commuting is looking pretty good.

My university is relatively local to me. To drive it would take you around 50 minutes (traffic considerations excluded), and from my local station it is a 30 minute train ride. To take the train would be approximately be a one hour door-to-door commute. I am able to drive and have a car at home, but my university does not offer on-campus parking and the thought of driving in for 9AM is understandably off-putting. So of the two, commuting by train seems more viable.

Whilst I am not opposed to the idea of shared housing next year (and the year afterwards), I cannot help but feel that living at home would be so much more convenient for me. Before posting this, I have read a number of posts on the Student Room and other sites about this issue. In most cases it seems to concern those who were considering commuting from their first year onwards. The main argument against this seemed to be that they would be missing out on the social aspects of student/university life. In my case, however, it would be during my second and third year that I would commute in. This year, living in halls, I plan on making the most of the carefree student life - with parties and nights out in clubs. I do enjoy this, but in my second and third year (when it actually counts), would I really be missing out on much by living at home?

Considering how much we now have to pay out to attend university, I really want to make sure that I get my money's worth - in the form of a decent degree. As such, in my second and third year I mean to really keep my nose to grindstone in order to do well. I enjoy drinking and partying well enough, but what am I really getting into all this debt for? At home I would have a relaxed environment to study in, without having to worry about rent, bills, and where my next meal would be coming from. Of course, I have plenty of friends still living at home, as well as all my family.

I am aware that by living at home, you receive a reduced (I am unsure how significantly) maintenance loan. However, my primary expense when commuting by train would be tickets - as I would likely opt for a monthly/ annual pass. I would not have to pay rent (though I would insist on paying board to my parents), bills, or buy food. To me, it seems like a more economical and less stressful (although I am aware that trains and time-keeping can be rather exhausting) alternative.

As I am living in halls during my first year, I do not see the drawbacks on the social aspect of university life when commuting for the following years. I have already made friends in my block, on my course, and outside of it. My intention is to make some great memories this year before really getting on with my studies in my second and third year - which I believe is a good balance between the social and academic elements that university promised. And what's to stop me crashing at a friends' house next year for the odd party?

I would like to hear other peoples' thoughts on this, as at the moment I am really trying to gather different opinions before making a decision. Of course, it is still early days and I am really just weighing up all the different options here. It would be really great to hear about current or past commuters' experiences, and whether or not they would recommend it. What are contact hours like during the second and third year, compared to the first?

Hi rs517,

My name is Gemma I am a second year student studying at Bournemouth.

I think at the end of the day its a very personal choice and one that only you can decice on. If you believe you will still get the most of university by commuting then I don't see the harm in doing this. If you really regret it, you could always find a house for the 3rd year and that way it would only be 1 year commuting.

I lived in halls last year and now privately rent with a group of 4 others and we live in Winton. The rent is a lot cheaper than halls (I pay 370 a month and know people that pay even less) so its worth baring in mind when considering money options.

Also as it is only the begining of November there is no need to rush your decision. I didn't get my house for the second year until the end of January, so your have plenty of time to weigh up the pro's and con's of each.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!
    Gemma

ReputationRep:
    your choice, there is no rush, but once you move out trust me it feels weird going back to live at home

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.