Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Next September, for a variety of reasons, I'll be starting uni at 22. I'm excited to start and work towards earning my degree and starting my career, the only aspect that is making me a bit nervous is the fact that, as most people start uni at 18, there will be a four year age difference. Now, I know this has been posted numerous times, but most of the responses say that people study in their 40s, 80s etc., but I already know this. The big worry for me is the social aspect. Obviously at 80', you wouldn't be looking for the "typical" uni experience, but at 22, I do and I don't want to be left out and not fit in and be considered too old to hang out with them. Sounds silly, but I'll be moving a long way from home and don't wanna be lonely.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percyns)
    Hello,
    Next September, for a variety of reasons, I'll be starting uni at 22. I'm excited to start and work towards earning my degree and starting my career, the only aspect that is making me a bit nervous is the fact that, as most people start uni at 18, there will be a four year age difference. Now, I know this has been posted numerous times, but most of the responses say that people study in their 40s, 80s etc., but I already know this. The big worry for me is the social aspect. Obviously at 80', you wouldn't be looking for the "typical" uni experience, but at 22, I do and I don't want to be left out and not fit in and be considered too old to hang out with them. Sounds silly, but I'll be moving a long way from home and don't wanna be lonely.
    Thanks
    im sure you will still be able to have just as much social fun ie. go out and party, drink etc. your only 22 your still young and the experience should not be that different from an 18 year old.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Thanks
    i know a lot of people who are in their 20+ and go to university. It honestly is no big deal, stop worrying.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Thanks
    The people that wont be friends with you just because you're 4 years older than them really arent worth knowing. The vast majority of people wont care or even notice!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just started Uni (I'm 18) and found out last week that the majority of my friends are 20 so I think you'll be fine. :yes: I too expected most to be 18 but that's not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, everyone. It makes sense what you're saying, I just worry as it's the only thing that's stopping me from being excited about going. I'll be staying in halls as well and I was thinking if everyone in my flat was 18, I might stand out and I don't really like the idea of that haha

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, everyone. It makes sense what you're saying, I just worry as it's the only thing that's stopping me from being excited about going. I'll be staying in halls as well and I was thinking if everyone in my flat was 18, I might stand out and I don't really like the idea of that haha
    Yeah dont worry, I'm in my second year of college at the moment and there's a guy there who's just turned 21 (I'm 17) and he's a really good guy and friends with everyone! Everyone just forgets about age!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Thanks
    one of my old housemates was 25 and he had lots of friends his own age & plenty of social opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Thanks
    This is a bad advice i'm going to give you but don't go uni. Your time is finished. You WILL struggle socially with 18 years olds because this is what i'm struggling with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uyi 95)
    This is a bad advice i'm going to give you but don't go uni. Your time is finished. You WILL struggle socially with 18 years olds because this is what i'm struggling with.
    No... your experience is definitely not most people's experience.

OP, it wont make a difference at all. Several people in my flat were 21 or 22 when they started their undergrad degree, or they were doing second degrees etc and they just hung out with other freshers like everyone else etc. You are definitely not going to 'stand out' from everyone else, its only a 4 year age difference, it's not like you are in your thirties or fourties where your priorities are completely different. people wont be sitting around thinking OMFG she is 22!! Haha dont worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcenciel21)
    No... your experience is definitely not most people's experience.

OP, it wont make a difference at all. Several people in my flat were 21 or 22 when they started their undergrad degree, or they were doing second degrees etc and they just hung out with other freshers like everyone else etc. You are definitely not going to 'stand out' from everyone else, its only a 4 year age difference, it's not like you are in your thirties or fourties where your priorities are completely different. people wont be sitting around thinking OMFG she is 22!! Haha dont worry about it.
    Thank you for making me feel better. Ive been feeling down about going earlier and being told my "time is done" and i will "struggle socially" hasn't helped! I'm hoping my experience will be as you describe it!

ReputationRep:
    As long as you get a good degree, you will be in the same boat as everyone else, whom got theirs before 22.

ReputationRep:
    My time is finished? You had a bad experience then?

ReputationRep:
    My time is finished? You had a bad experience then?
    Yes i am. The only thing i enjoy in uni is that i don't have to live at home.

ReputationRep:
    Generally pretty positive responses so feel a little reassured. I'm really hoping it won't be a problem, cos I'm really looking forward to going and I'm not gonna change my mind about it!

ReputationRep:
    I started at 22 and hang around with the 18 year olds, it's not been a problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomov)
    I started at 22 and hang around with the 18 year olds, it's not been a problem at all.
    So no one made it out to be weird and you didn't encounter any problems?
    Also, did you find it difficult to relate to people four years younger or was it just like talking to someone your own age? (Don't mean to sound patronising!)

ReputationRep:
    Out of my 7 flatmates in my first year of uni, 6 were 20+. One was 23 and even looked older than that! You'll be just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry your still a 'young person' ekkk hate that prase.... its not like you 40

ReputationRep:
    Born in 95? So you're 19/20? lol if you're having a problem at uni, your age has nothing to do with it. It's something else

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.