Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Need a bit of help:
    What does the second law of thermodynamics state? Why is it so fundamental?
    Like I sort of get it is to do with entropy and you can break even at 0 Kelvin. There are a bunch of entropy equations which come together to make the gibbs free energy. But ultimately I don't really get what it is saying.
    What does gibbs free energy value show?

Also why is it that we can't convert all of heat into work , what is the reason for the inefficiency. The second law says something about 0 kelvin? Anyone care to explain that bit as well.

Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Super199)
    Need a bit of help:
    What does the second law of thermodynamics state? Why is it so fundamental?
    Like I sort of get it is to do with entropy and you can break even at 0 Kelvin. There are a bunch of entropy equations which come together to make the gibbs free energy. But ultimately I don't really get what it is saying.
    What does gibbs free energy value show?

Also why is it that we can't convert all of heat into work , what is the reason for the inefficiency. The second law says something about 0 kelvin? Anyone care to explain that bit as well.

Thanks
    Check out these two links

Entropy

Gibbs

Then get back with any questions ...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.