The Student Room Group

Failed AS level twice and need advice

I am really confused as I flunked my AS levels twice, once in 2011/2012 when I was just 15 with no GCSE's, poor English skills and was advised inadequately to do A levels and then again in 2013/2014 which was due to my lazy ass attitude and low self esteem. However, last year I decided to give it one last shot as I figured that I want to do better in life and study Law in university(had an year off working and later traveled to Malawi). I achieved 4A's in History, English Lit, Biology and Sociology and I'm predicted A*A*AA for A2. Meanwhile, I have a lot of work/volunteer experience as a witness service advisor and legal secretary. With my academic history, I am aware that I should not aim for universities such as UCL, ICL, Oxbridge etc. I wonder whether I would have a chance getting into University of York, East Anglia, Leeds, Sheffield or even Nottingham?

Apologies for the long post and would appreciate any advice
You'd have every chance. Well done on turning it around.
Reply 2
Original post by jackhaugh
You'd have every chance. Well done on turning it around.

Thank you, don't you think that universities will be reluctant to give me an offer since they can't be sure that I'll get my predicted grades? Also, should I mention any of my mitigating circumstances in my PS or ask my tutor to do it in her Reference?
Original post by Ayčun
Thank you, don't you think that universities will be reluctant to give me an offer since they can't be sure that I'll get my predicted grades? Also, should I mention any of my mitigating circumstances in my PS or ask my tutor to do it in her Reference?

There's no reason why you shouldn't consider the top Unis you mentioned in your first post. Just have back up choices as well.
Original post by Ayčun

You can mention it briefly in your PS, I think, but mostly it should be in your reference. Regarding your original post - the Nottingham law department say, in their brochure, that "We would normally require all three A level examinations to be taken in the same examination period. We do not normally accept re-sit examinations of A level grades, unless there is an adequate and deserving explanation". You may therefore have a chance if your circumstances are well explained in your reference... but I'd probably avoid applying to Nottingham just in case they're awkward.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
There's no reason why you shouldn't consider the top Unis you mentioned in your first post. Just have back up choices as well.

That's reassuring. I will apply to Nottingham Trent, just in case something goes wrong.
Reply 6
Original post by doctorwhofan98
You can mention it briefly in your PS, I think, but mostly it should be in your reference. Regarding your original post - the Nottingham law department say, in their brochure, that "We would normally require all three A level examinations to be taken in the same examination period. We do not normally accept re-sit examinations of A level grades, unless there is an adequate and deserving explanation". You may therefore have a chance if your circumstances are well explained in your reference... but I'd probably avoid applying to Nottingham just in case they're awkward.

I actually spoke to the Nottingham's law admission team and they were empathetic with my case.Also, they are known for offering places to students from deprived and underachieving areas. However, I really doubt that they are going to offer me a place and I'll have to go through clearing eventually if there are places left. Thanks for your advice though!
Original post by Ayčun

They can't be sure anyone will reach their predicted grades... Whatever you've done in your other years make that look really good in your personal statement, and possibly ask your tutor to put it in your reference but don't make it sound like a sob story or anything.

Quick Reply

Latest