Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to universities this year and I am pretty sure I will omit QM from my list of universities I will apply to. It seems like a pretty good uni but looking at The Guardian rankings it is 84th overall and 38th for comp sci and to me these numbers aren't the best. The other universities I'm looking at are around top 20-30 rankings on the charts but people seem to hype up Queen Mary so maybe I am missing something.

(If you were curious my other potential choices are KCL, Surrey, Southampton, Warwick, Kent (as a safety), Nottingham or Bath). I think it is plausible that I can get into at least a few of these.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pockii)
    I am applying to universities this year and I am pretty sure I will omit QM from my list of universities I will apply to. It seems like a pretty good uni but looking at The Guardian rankings it is 84th overall and 38th for comp sci and to me these numbers aren't the best. The other universities I'm looking at are around top 20-30 rankings on the charts but people seem to hype up Queen Mary so maybe I am missing something.

(If you were curious my other potential choices are KCL, Surrey, Southampton, Warwick, Kent (as a safety), Nottingham or Bath). I think it is plausible that I can get into at least a few of these.

Thanks.
    Hello,

If you can apply for a better uni, just do it! .
    I regret my university choice. Qmul is not so good as it seems.
    The amount of work you are expeced to do every year ( i mean courseworks, labs..) is completely crazy!

Every module is made of 2 or 3 courseworks ( like reports, assessed labs, app development ) AND a final exam as well!

They also said that there is a Lab just for EECS students. This is true but, during the week you will waste your time looking for a PC to use as the lab is locked during the majority of the day due to scheduled labs.

During your final year you will have to do your project. That should be your priority but, again you will have to do lot of courseworks ( usually 2 for each module, during the same semester) and exams.

ReputationRep:
    ^ well then maybe you don't like working so hard.
    I graduated from this department with a First and it wasn't even my firm uni choice. Either it's really easy or really hard depending on how much you're willing to do. Although that said I didn't have much of an opinion on the courses/modules I took, I just did them with no complaints. Project? I got 75% and I didn't think it was that good!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys! I decided not to put down QM but anyways I already submitted my UCAS so there's no going back now xD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.