Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

M354 - Motion on the Chilcot Inquiry watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M354 - Motion on the Chilcot Inquiry, The Hon. Barnetlad MPThis House condemns the delays in the publication of the Chilcot Report. The delay to mid-2016 is unfair to the relatives of those who died in Iraq and to all others affected by the Inquiry. This House believes that the report can be published online and a summary report published online in advance.

This House therefore calls for resources to be devoted to publishing a summary report by 31 December 2015 and the full report by 31 March 2016.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. The deejays to the publication of the report ate absolutely disgraceful. Whole thing's probably going to be a cover up anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Let's make sure we do a decent job rather than leaking some sort of tl;dr online early.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Let's make sure we do a decent job rather than leaking some sort of tl;dr online early.
    Hear hear

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye , Aye , Aye
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Aye. The deejays to the publication of the report ate absolutely disgraceful. Whole thing's probably going to be a cover up anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Absolutely, those pesky disk jockey birds

In all seriousness actually I'm not sure thsi is a good idea. I support the sentiment but maybe the families should get a draft this December so tags they know what will be in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Absolutely, those pesky disk jockey birds

In all seriousness actually I'm not sure thsi is a good idea. I support the sentiment but maybe the families should get a draft this December so tags they know what will be in it.
    ...Damn autocorrect :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Hear hear. I have no doubt the delays have been at least somewhat unnecessary, but this isn't the right solution.

ReputationRep:
    Why mention publishing it online? It's totally irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure.. if it's not complete, then it's not a complete; we don't want a half arsed report at the end after all this time.

However, I do think the current dates given should be set as a definitive deadline to prevent further delays. Chilcot has said he expects to finish it by the end of April and then it will take two or three months to undergo national security checks. I would support a motion setting a deadline for the 30th April for the report to be complete, and a deadline of the 30th June for the national security checks. Whatever is there by those two dates will be published whether Chilcot says it is complete or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    just in case.
    #politicaldelay #blairdidit

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'll probably vote Nay on this, but just because I feel that a halfcocked report being published is not the best outcome after years of waiting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    Printing a 2 million word report in a sufficient number of copies must add at least a couple of weeks if not longer to publication.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hear, hear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Printing a 2 million word report in a sufficient number of copies must add at least a couple of weeks if not longer to publication.
    Parliament at least would need a paper copy, and they'd need it first and foremost, also after all the recent hacking issues I'm sure the Government, and parts of the Labour Party, would prefer none of the report to be leaked before it's released

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I don't see the Report as the great matter of urgency that others seem to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay - Reports will always take longer than estimated because of the seriousness and amount of factors to consider - the Saville Enquiry took 12 years to complete, 38 years after the incident.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.