Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My qualifications dont meet the entry requirements?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm 20 years old and I applied for an engineering foundation course.

So I just got an answer from two unis that I applied and they both said that my qualifications don't meet the entry requirements.
    I was surprised because I applied for a Foundation course and I looked up a lot on the internet and it seemed to me that the foundation course was for those who didn't have A-levels and/or were from another coutry, thus having different kinds of qualifications.

I remember that I checked on the unis website if they accepted my countries qualifications and they did, so I really don't understand what's going on.
    I studied mechanical engineering in my country(brazil), but it was for 1 term only and my grades were awful because I was going through a lot.
    All I have are high school grades, which are all above C and a 7.0 on IELTS.
    Does anyone knows which qualifications I am supposed to have?
    I just sent an e-mail to the unis(nottingham and manchester), but I'm really curious and sad about this.

Also, if I DO have to take the A-levels, does anyone knows if it's possible to study on my own and take the exams?
    I'm already 20, so I don't have the time to spend 2 more years doing A-levels, plus I'm really good at math/science and I always studied alone, so I'm self-taught.

ReputationRep:
    foundation courses are for people who have taken a btec or alevels and didnt quite meet the criteria. what you need to do my friend is an access course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebe0062)
    foundation courses are for people who have taken a btec or alevels and didnt quite meet the criteria. what you need to do my friend is an access course
    Sorry, I'm not from the UK so I'm not familiar with the name. Can you explain it to me?

How about the A-levels? Is it impossible to do it on my own, without paying a college?

EDIT: Ok, I just googled and it seems like a good idea.
    The problem is: I'm 20 and it says that I must be 21 or over.
    What now?? D:
    Also, what are the best colleges that offer Access courses?

ReputationRep:
    its best you look for the best college in your area.
    another route is to take a btec level 3 in engineering and with that you can go straight to a first year engineering course.

good luck

(Original post by GiuDell)
    Sorry, I'm not from the UK so I'm not familiar with the name. Can you explain it to me?

How about the A-levels? Is it impossible to do it on my own, without paying a college?

EDIT: Ok, I just googled and it seems like a good idea.
    The problem is: I'm 20 and it says that I must be 21 or over.
    What now?? D:
    Also, what are the best colleges that offer Access courses?
    Most colleges offer some Access courses but you'll have to check whether Access diplomas from that college are accepted by the universities you apply to or not.

For A Levels, your best bet is this place: http://www.3at.org.uk/. Most colleges and schools don't accept private candidates and would expect you to enrol full-time but this place seems to be dedicated mainly to private candidates who can also get support if needed. I don't know where you live so I can't say if it's practical for you to sit exams in Bristol but this is one of the only places that I could find where you can sit almost any exam from any board that you like (for a fee, of course).

With science A Levels, this place also has the advantage of offering CIE board A Levels, which are the A Levels often done in international schools in other countries and contain no practical component for science subjects. This is an advantage because, while you may able to find, with a lot of effort, a school/college willing to let you take written exams privately, you will find it almost impossible to find one that will let you do practicals as a private candidate, mainly because they're quite expensive. So CIE is the best option for those looking to do A Levels privately, in my view.

I also suggest that you don't underestimate A Levels based on past success in self-teaching -- they're soul-draining for most people and that's with the benefit of regular teaching at a sixth form or college. Undertake them privately if you want but know the risks.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.