Turn on thread page Beta

Why have pleb language / accents overrun posh and well spoken language / accents? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Many years ago, the majority of British people were able to speak properly. Take this guy for example (skip to 0:50). Now, most people have adopted some kind of horrific accent / language often associated with football fans, such as 'O'rite mate' etc. and those that once spoke like a gentleman have become scarce. So why did the 'pleb' form of speaking overrule the 'gentleman' form?

ReputationRep:
    It has become socially acceptable to take the p1ss out of posh or even proper English. In fact it is the norm and in many situations people will avoid using proper English to avoid this ridicule. The only people that come in for anywhere near the same ridicule as posh/proper English speakers are Brummies.
    Having said that don't kid yourself that people never spoke in strong regional accents. There is a long history of people in this country living a couple of hours bus ride down the road from other people they can hardly understand.

ReputationRep:
    I read recently that the upper class people in London changed their pronunciation of some words so they didn't sound like the working class people, and then a lot of people in the south adopted some of the pronunciations. So maybe it is posh people who speak wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd love to have a more upper class accent and have often thought about having elocution lessons. I'd like to sound like Oliver Read or Harry H Corbett, two of my personal acting heroes, - I have a fairly rich vocabulary; I'd love to compliment it with a "cut glass" accent.

ReputationRep:
    Don't fret,dear

ReputationRep:
    i blame the BBC. their announcers pay little attention to diction; they all want to be your best friend. apparently Mr Cameron is the "pry minister".

ReputationRep:
    There's no linguistic reason why accents or dialects are inherently 'wrong', in general they are internally consistent and display just as much complexity as the standardised forms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    It has become socially acceptable to take the p1ss out of posh or even proper English. In fact it is the norm and in many situations people will avoid using proper English to avoid this ridicule. The only people that come in for anywhere near the same ridicule as posh/proper English speakers are Brummies.
    Having said that don't kid yourself that people never spoke in strong regional accents. There is a long history of people in this country living a couple of hours bus ride down the road from other people they can hardly understand.
    I am a brummie and i hate the queens english when anyone speaks like a snob on tv i switch them off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    I am a brummie and i hate the queens english when anyone speaks like a snob on tv i switch them off.
    I once used to go on business in Wolverhampton. Aside from it being a huge cess pool I thought they all had a speech impediment (or were mentally challenged)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I once used to go on business in Wolverhampton. Aside from it being a huge cess pool I thought they all had a speech impediment (or were mentally challenged)
    They are that way they all seem to fall lucky and get high paid jobs. They have some abbrevations such as

Broken =Bost
    Great =Bostin
    Yam=You are
    oss=Horse

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.