Turn on thread page Beta

Would I make the cut? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Title sums it up really,

I want to study medicine at Cambridge, however, am in a bit of a pickle.

GCSES: 5A*'s 3A's 2B's (2A*'s gained after 2 re-takes).
    A-levels: (achieved) A*A*A*A*A*

I have come across some statistics with regards to cambridge medical applicants and saw that many had 8-11 A*'s (GCSES).

I was ultimately wondering whether my GCSES would significantly hinder my chances or if I would still have a competitive application?

Regards,

Rhy

ReputationRep:
    You've sure got a chance with those A levels...
    Any tips on how you stayed focused and revision tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    You've sure got a chance with those A levels...
    Any tips on how you stayed focused and revision tips?
    With regards to revision, make sure you understand all the content, go through the specification and ensure your exam can't ask you anything you do not know or cannot apply to. Practice often, past papers or questions from any resource even go as far as cross-referencing between other exam boards to reinforce your understanding. Watch videos on topics you struggle with and extend past the syllabus. E.G I watched lectures on NMR (a topic within chemistry). If you ever find your self completely stuck, go and see a teacher and have a session with them.

For motivation, set out your goals, make sure they are realistic but ambitious, you can do anything you set your mind to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhy)
    With regards to revision, make sure you understand all the content, go through the specification and ensure your exam can't ask you anything you do not know or cannot apply to. Practice often, past papers or questions from any resource even go as far as cross-referencing between other exam boards to reinforce your understanding. Watch videos on topics you struggle with and extend past the syllabus. E.G I watched lectures on NMR (a topic within chemistry). If you ever find your self completely stuck, go and see a teacher and have a session with them.

For motivation, set out your goals, make sure they are realistic but ambitious, you can do anything you set your mind to.
    Thanks a lot! Congratulations on your A levels and hope you get in Your GCSE's are by no means bad or even average and there have been people who have got worse gcse's and A levels getting in Cambridge!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Rhy)
    Title sums it up really,

I want to study medicine at Cambridge, however, am in a bit of a pickle.

GCSES: 5A*'s 3A's 2B's (2A*'s gained after 2 re-takes).
    A-levels: (achieved) A*A*A*A*A*

I have come across some statistics with regards to cambridge medical applicants and saw that many had 8-11 A*'s (GCSES).

I was ultimately wondering whether my GCSES would significantly hinder my chances or if I would still have a competitive application?

Regards,

Rhy
    You're good to go mate, just prep for your interview and smash it. I think you qualify for 'auto-pooling' so even if your interview goes awry, you'll still be considered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You're good to go mate, just prep for your interview and smash it. I think you qualify for 'auto-pooling' so even if your interview goes awry, you'll still be considered.
    Thanks for that

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.