Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have looked up the league table and university ranking for law. Oxford Brookes university according to the guardian is ranked 16th for law and the complete university guide rank Oxford Brookes university 44th for law. I want to know what you guys think of the university. Also which do you think would be best for law out of Oxford Brookes university, university of Huddersfield, University Of Salford, MMU and university of Bradford.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Brookes is the best out of the list you provided

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    Oxford Brookes is the best out of the list you provided

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you think I should study law there ?or should i choose a different university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HX_AZAAN_786)
    Do you think I should study law there ?or should i choose a different university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you want to be a solicitor - don't bother - you will struggle. Need better university

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking that the University of Huddersfield was quite good for law and it's closer to where i live. Also it's better than all the others i had mentioned excluding Oxford Brookes university. I would prefer to go to a university that is closer to home and is also quite good for law at the same time and the University of Huddersfield seems to fit that.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    i agree with what squeaky said. if you want to be a solicitor, you'll need to go to a better university for law. i'd recommend working hard this year to get AAB+ then you can apply next year for russell group universities.

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately, just go where you'd be happiest.

Unfortunately, most law firms will not care which of those unis you go to - they wouldn't consider any of them to be good enough. The league tables are irrelevant, as most law firms have their own idea of what a good university for law is: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/med...university.pdf

In many ways though, that kind of makes your decision simpler. Seeing as the reputation won't matter, you should go to the one you'd be happiest at. Which is your favourite course? How far from home do you want to be? Do you like the location of the uni? Make your decision based off of these factors, not on league tables or reputation - they aren't going to matter for the unis you're looking at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChuckHades)
    Ultimately, just go where you'd be happiest.

Unfortunately, most law firms will not care which of those unis you go to - they wouldn't consider any of them to be good enough. The league tables are irrelevant, as most law firms have their own idea of what a good university for law is: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/med...university.pdf

In many ways though, that kind of makes your decision simpler. Seeing as the reputation won't matter, you should go to the one you'd be happiest at. Which is your favourite course? How far from home do you want to be? Do you like the location of the uni? Make your decision based off of these factors, not on league tables or reputation - they aren't going to matter for the unis you're looking at.
    So, should i just got to the University of Huddersfield as it is closer to home and it's quite good for law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HX_AZAAN_786)
    So, should i just got to the University of Huddersfield as it is closer to home and it's quite good for law?
    If that's your favourite one, then yea, go for Huddersfield.

Just remember that in the eyes of employers, it's not "good for law". If you want to break into anything bigger than a high street firm, you're gonna have to do a lot of hard work at university to make up for it. Get the best A Levels you can (many firms still filter by UCAS points), work towards a first class honours, and get involved with societies and work experience. Then you might make up for the relatively weak university.

Anyway, yes, if Huddersfield is your favourite, then go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChuckHades)
    If that's your favourite one, then yea, go for Huddersfield.

Just remember that in the eyes of employers, it's not "good for law". If you want to break into anything bigger than a high street firm, you're gonna have to do a lot of hard work at university to make up for it. Get the best A Levels you can (many firms still filter by UCAS points), work towards a first class honours, and get involved with societies and work experience. Then you might make up for the relatively weak university.

Anyway, yes, if Huddersfield is your favourite, then go there.
    Thank you, Chuck hades for the help. I'm glad to know that going to a university that is not a Russell group won't hinder my chances to become a solicitor or to work in a law firm. By the way I'm interested in criminal law.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.