Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I will be studying in Essex for Spring 2016. I'm having some trouble deciding whether to live on or off campus. Can anyone give me some tips or advice? Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm currently a student at the University of Essex!

I would say it depends on what is important to you. If you want to be able to walk to your lectures in under 10 minutes (for most of the on campus accommodation this is true) then go for living on campus. Living on campus also has a great community feel and it's easier to attend all the events on campus.

However, I personally live off campus. Now this is partly due to being from the area and therefore I know my way around Colchester really well. I prefer to have a more quiet atmosphere at home and therefore rent a flat off campus. Living on campus can be quite noisy depending on the accommodation that you choose but it also is really exciting. Although, living off campus can also be fun if you live in the student areas. You can also be closer to the town by living off campus and that can really come in handy!

Overall I would say it depends on what type of atmosphere you are looking for but please feel free to ask any more questions!
    Natalie.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Natalie!

So here's my situation (hopefully you can help me out): So I'd love to live on campus because I would love to make friends and know where I'm living before my arrival. But I'd love to live off campus because I want to avoid university regulations and hone in the most independent abroad experience possible. I'd also like to live off campus because I'm assuming it would be cheaper.

Do you know where I can look for flatmates or a flat?
    And also, where would you recommend living?
    And would you happen to know where I can find American students?
    Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vivelajess)
    Hey Natalie!

So here's my situation (hopefully you can help me out): So I'd love to live on campus because I would love to make friends and know where I'm living before my arrival. But I'd love to live off campus because I want to avoid university regulations and hone in the most independent abroad experience possible. I'd also like to live off campus because I'm assuming it would be cheaper.

Do you know where I can look for flatmates or a flat?
    And also, where would you recommend living?
    And would you happen to know where I can find American students?
    Thank you!!
    Hello,

Sorry about the late reply!

There is a service run by the Students' Union called Student Lets that helps students find accommodation in Colchester and doesn't charge any fees.
    https://www.essexstudent.com/sulets/

You could also look on the University Fresher pages as people often are looking for flatmates on there.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/789560837805575/

Most off campus students live in Greenstead as you can walk from there to the university. If you are looking to live around students it is a good choice. However, personally I prefer living nearer the town centre and getting the bus into university as the bus only takes around 15-20 minutes from town. You will find more student accommodation in Greenstead than in town but you could choose to privately rent (I personally do) although often you may need a guarantor for privately renting when student accommodation doesn't always ask for one.

The best place to search for other American students is on the above University Fresher's page as most students do join that Facebook page. I can't currently see an American Society at the university but there is also the possibility that it may exist.

Cost does depend on where in Colchester you choose to live. Where I live is cheaper than living on campus but you may find some areas are more expensive. It's a good idea to look online at the differences in price across Colchester.

I hope that is helpful!
    Natalie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie.1)
    Hello,

Sorry about the late reply!

There is a service run by the Students' Union called Student Lets that helps students find accommodation in Colchester and doesn't charge any fees.
    https://www.essexstudent.com/sulets/

You could also look on the University Fresher pages as people often are looking for flatmates on there.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/789560837805575/

Most off campus students live in Greenstead as you can walk from there to the university. If you are looking to live around students it is a good choice. However, personally I prefer living nearer the town centre and getting the bus into university as the bus only takes around 15-20 minutes from town. You will find more student accommodation in Greenstead than in town but you could choose to privately rent (I personally do) although often you may need a guarantor for privately renting when student accommodation doesn't always ask for one.

The best place to search for other American students is on the above University Fresher's page as most students do join that Facebook page. I can't currently see an American Society at the university but there is also the possibility that it may exist.

Cost does depend on where in Colchester you choose to live. Where I live is cheaper than living on campus but you may find some areas are more expensive. It's a good idea to look online at the differences in price across Colchester.

I hope that is helpful!
    Natalie.
    Hey Nat, how are you?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I was looking for a place for around 250 a month, would I be able to find something in the city for that? Or maybe in Greenstead? Are there any other websites that can help with this?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Hey Nat, how are you?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I was looking for a place for around 250 a month, would I be able to find something in the city for that? Or maybe in Greenstead? Are there any other websites that can help with this?
    Thanks!
    Hi!
    Just picking up from what has been said, personally I think you will struggle to find something in Colchester for this price if you were wanting the bills to be included within the price.

However around the £300 mark would be reasonable to find within greenstead, but again bills would not be likely to be included in this price.

Hope this helps,
    ^Shannon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannon.rose)
    Hi!
    Just picking up from what has been said, personally I think you will struggle to find something in Colchester for this price if you were wanting the bills to be included within the price.

However around the £300 mark would be reasonable to find within greenstead, but again bills would not be likely to be included in this price.

Hope this helps,
    ^Shannon
    Heya Shannon! Oh no I wouldnt expect bills to be included in the price.

But okay thanks a lot!

But do you know of any websites that could help?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am a current student at the University of Essex. I am living in the meadows townhouses and honestly have had the best experience this year. I would 100% recommend living on campus as you can fully immerse yourself in uni life, its also easy is you're going to go out on campus at night as it is quick and safe to get home. It also normally works out at the same cost for living on campus (unless you're living in towers) as living off campus as off campus you have to pay a 12 month contract. Living on campus also provides you with between 4 and 15 other people you automatically can hang out with and attend events with until you find other friends, although I have stayed friends with the majority of my housemates!

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.