Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HELP!!! I am in my second year Psychology at Royal Holloway. I loved the first year, but really hating it now. The lecturers are really anti-students and they changed the course completely and now that the new assessments count for my degree I am really worried I'll fail or get a bad degree. Does anyone know if i can swap to another uni in the middle of the year? I got a 2.1. in my first year. I went to ask the acting head but she was horrbile and told me I'd get a reputation as a trouble maker. Want to go!!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Hectorina)
    HELP!!! I am in my second year Psychology at Royal Holloway. I loved the first year, but really hating it now. The lecturers are really anti-students and they changed the course completely and now that the new assessments count for my degree I am really worried I'll fail or get a bad degree. Does anyone know if i can swap to another uni in the middle of the year? I got a 2.1. in my first year. I went to ask the acting head but she was horrbile and told me I'd get a reputation as a trouble maker. Want to go!!!
    Hi there,

I am really concerned to hear that you are unhappy on your course.

I've been in touch with the Psychology department and they are keen to discuss these concerns with you directly. This would give you both the opportunity to speak in person about the changes in assessment and any other concerns with the department and course. I am going to PM you some more details about who to contact.

Camilla

ReputationRep:
    That is appaulling. You should go and make some trouble for them!!!!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    There is potential for you to be able to transfer into the second year at another university starting next academic year. You would need to talk to some of the universities you would be interested in to see how they would view such an application and then, if they welcome it, apply via UCAS but with the relevant entry point.

ReputationRep:
    Came across this thread as I am applying for 2017 and am considering Royal Holloway. I'd heard the department had a good reputation but my teacher says they are only 46th on research ranking but are pretending they are better based on only half the professors who do research. Confused. Some people are saying this is a really bad department now.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by marniesloame)
    Came across this thread as I am applying for 2017 and am considering Royal Holloway. I'd heard the department had a good reputation but my teacher says they are only 46th on research ranking but are pretending they are better based on only half the professors who do research. Confused. Some people are saying this is a really bad department now.
    Hey Marniesloame,

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling confused by all the statistics that often fly around when looking into universities.

In terms of the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF, 2014) our Psychology department is top 5 in the UK for world class research, as well as 6th overall in the UK's Psychology departments.
    The Guardian Good University Guide 2017, ranked the department 8th in the UK, and the department itself is consistently ranked among the top departments nationally.
    We achieved 90% overall student satisfaction from the National Student Survey 2016.
    Further to this, our single hons Psychology Degree is recognised by the British Psychological Society, and every single student has a Personal Advisor to help and support their learning and environment.

For a flavour of the activities in research, teaching and student experience, you might want to check out the department's Twitter page. Alternatively, if you want to know more about the different things the department is up to, I can pass your details onto the department, who can chat with you about any questions you might have!

I hope that gives you a bit more information about Royal Holloway, but if you do have any further questions, just let me know!

Summer

ReputationRep:
    Dear Summer, Here is the link my teacher sent me and it is in line with what they told me at other university open days - this table makes sense to me because the Russell Group universities are at the top: https://www.timeshighereducation.com...-intensity.pdf

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend started Royal Holloway Psychology this year and hates it, The website says that you get taught by professors but he’s not had a single class with a profersor and the head of first year doesn’t even know what the courses are. Apparently at the end of year exams everyones marks got moved down so they wouldn't transfer out
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Koala99)
    My boyfriend started Royal Holloway Psychology this year and hates it, The website says that you get taught by professors but he’s not had a single class with a profersor and the head of first year doesn’t even know what the courses are. Apparently at the end of year exams everyones marks got moved down so they wouldn't transfer out

Hey Koala99,

I'm really sorry to hear that your boyfriend hasn't had the ideal start to his studies with us. I've been in touch with the department, and they are eager to discuss concerns that your boyfriend has and that you've mentioned in your post. I'll PM you the details of the best person to get in touch with.

We're pleased to say that all our Professors (including the Head of Department!) do give lectures across the programme, so it could be that your boyfriend has not come across this due to his timetable, and with it being the first term of his first year.

I hope this provides some reassurance, let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
    Hey Koala99,

I'm really sorry to hear that your boyfriend hasn't had the ideal start to his studies with us. I've been in touch with the department, and they are eager to discuss concerns that your boyfriend has and that you've mentioned in your post. I'll PM you the details of the best person to get in touch with.

We're pleased to say that all our Professors (including the Head of Department!) do give lectures across the programme, so it could be that your boyfriend has not come across this due to his timetable, and with it being the first term of his first year.

I hope this provides some reassurance, let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Summer
    Hi Summer! I got in touch with your admissions dept. today via phone. I wanted to ask about applying to study Psychology as a mature student. Because the deadline for the 2017 cycle is still up, the lady actually recommended I try applying before Jan 15th deadline as well and try my chances. So I'm all of a sudden in a huge rush to write up a PS when I thought I would have the entire year to think about what I want to include in it (i.e. work experience and voluntary work). I am a mature student, and completed my Alevels in 2011 achieving A*ABb (Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Physics). For my IGCSEs I obtained 2 A* and 7 As. I attained a First in my first year of Russell Gorup University in London studying Biomedical Sciences but had to drop out after my second year due to health reasons. I called to find out whether or not I should take an Access Course Sep 2017 to help build my application but the lady explained it was not necessary despite being out of education for a couple of years. Please could you confirm if this is not a concern and that it wouldn't disadvantage me against other candidates? Also, I was all along planning to undertake voluntary work and work experience in the new year. Can I state this in my PS and how will they regard it? Would I be able to come and speak to you about all of these details? I am visiting the drop-in admissions clinic this Wednesday!
    Also are all the Psychology modules not taught by qualified professors?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Glee)
    Hi Summer! I got in touch with your admissions dept. today via phone. I wanted to ask about applying to study Psychology as a mature student. Because the deadline for the 2017 cycle is still up, the lady actually recommended I try applying before Jan 15th deadline as well and try my chances. So I'm all of a sudden in a huge rush to write up a PS when I thought I would have the entire year to think about what I want to include in it (i.e. work experience and voluntary work). I am a mature student, and completed my Alevels in 2011 achieving A*ABb (Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Physics). For my IGCSEs I obtained 2 A* and 7 As. I attained a First in my first year of Russell Gorup University in London studying Biomedical Sciences but had to drop out after my second year due to health reasons. I called to find out whether or not I should take an Access Course Sep 2017 to help build my application but the lady explained it was not necessary despite being out of education for a couple of years. Please could you confirm if this is not a concern and that it wouldn't disadvantage me against other candidates? Also, I was all along planning to undertake voluntary work and work experience in the new year. Can I state this in my PS and how will they regard it? Would I be able to come and speak to you about all of these details? I am visiting the drop-in admissions clinic this Wednesday!
    Also are all the Psychology modules not taught by qualified professors?
    Hi Glee,

It's really great to hear how enthusiastic you are about returning to education!

Our Admissions team are definitely the best people to talk to about when the best time to apply is, so if they recommended applying for the UCAS deadline, that would probably be the best thing to do. You have some excellent grades behind you, which will set your application in good stead.

When it comes to your personal statement, you're definitely doing the right thing by attending our Admissions clinic, as they will be able to advise you on a one on one basis regarding your application, and the best things to include. If you have any specific questions about this let me know!

In regards to the Psychology Professors, when we talk about Professors at Royal Holloway, we are referring to our most senior members of academic staff. A university department usually has a small number of Professors - in Psychology at Royal Holloway we have around 10. These staff are involved in a variety of teaching including lectures and project supervision. Our teaching is also delivered by permanent members of faculty who are Readers, Senior Lecturers and Lecturers - you may have seen other universities use the titles of Assistant Professor and Associate Professor for staff in similar roles. We have a full list of our teaching faculty here, where you can find out more about our academic staff, as well as their particular subjects of interest.

I hope that helps to answer a few of your questions, but if you do have any more, let me know! Good luck with the admissions clinic - I hope it goes well!

Summer

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 21, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.