Media Power In Contempary Britain And The Perception Of The Media. Watch

This discussion is closed.
g_skeats
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The power of the media has never been questioned, they can make an innocent person look guilty, and a guilty person look a innocent, this kind of power comes from the lack of legislation in the media industry, its interesting to know that the media regulates itself. Why???

The majority of the media is controlled by rupert murdoch who has many interests in america at the moment, Is this why all the uk papers are anti-euro???

As the single currency will be bigger, stronger than the dollar so rupert murdoch might be scared or feel threatened by the euro and the eu constitution as europe unites to become the strongest world power.

I believe that the media aren't giving the balance view they should, even the broadsheets havent expressed the pros for the euro and intregration and the advantages of the eu constitution, as eu enlargement continues, why???

The media is important for any democracy, however a corrupt media with too much power which is just misleading the people of england isnt needed at all!

When will the media stop, will the media become bigger and more powerful in the future?

If anyone has any similar or different views on this topic, please reply Gordon.
Alibumaye
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Media power is a consequence of our (the publics) inability to look at events with an independant mind. All too often there is a tendency to believe the reports and opinions printed in both tabloids and broadsheets without ever questioning the legitimacy of the report/opinion being expressed or without the individual ever asking themselves: What do I believe?

All forms of media should have to right to express their own opinions. If they are anti-Euro, pro-monarchy, ant-fox hunting or whatever, they should say so. In many cases they are required to present a certain viewpoint depending on their target audience. For example, it is rare that the Guardian will ever stray from their traditional left-wing ideology. The same argument could be made for the Daily Mail and Telegraph and the right wing. Whilst newspapers should express overt opinions we are not forced to belive them. As of yet we do not live in a totalitarian state where the nations inhabitants are bombarded with propaganda or exposed to only one side on an argument. There is intelligent and detailed discussion in the world if only we would try to seek it out and listen.
*Skippy*
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Alibumaye)
Media power is a consequence of our (the publics) inability to look at events with an independant mind. All too often there is a tendency to believe the reports and opinions printed in both tabloids and broadsheets without ever questioning the legitimacy of the report/opinion being expressed or without the individual ever asking themselves: What do I believe?

All forms of media should have to right to express their own opinions. If they are anti-Euro, pro-monarchy, ant-fox hunting or whatever, they should say so. In many cases they are required to present a certain viewpoint depending on their target audience. For example, it is rare that the Guardian will ever stray from their traditional left-wing ideology. The same argument could be made for the Daily Mail and Telegraph and the right wing. Whilst newspapers should express overt opinions we are not forced to belive them. As of yet we do not live in a totalitarian state where the nations inhabitants are bombarded with propaganda or exposed to only one side on an argument. There is intelligent and detailed discussion in the world if only we would try to seek it out and listen.
wow! u ppl r tlkin bout kool stuff not just history that i dnt understand! i always get annoyed wiv the media because last week i was reading the paper on sunday while the thing in that russian school was happening and that was on like page 3 or 7 i think it was n on the front page was a big picture of rooneys ex/girlfrend coleen n how she was heartbroken she cheated on him n i thort that was sick how that was prioritized over the russian thing beacuse there's ppl who wood prob think thats more important just because its on the front page!
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *Skippy*)
wow! u ppl r tlkin bout kool stuff not just history that i dnt understand! i always get annoyed wiv the media because last week i was reading the paper on sunday while the thing in that russian school was happening and that was on like page 3 or 7 i think it was n on the front page was a big picture of rooneys ex/girlfrend coleen n how she was heartbroken she cheated on him n i thort that was sick how that was prioritized over the russian thing beacuse there's ppl who wood prob think thats more important just because its on the front page!
You need to start reading a better paper.
*Skippy*
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
You need to start reading a better paper.
I know! I mean I'm only 14 but I know that children dying is more important that sum whore tryin to get abit of extra cash! and ive never understood why anyonewould want to be famous coz y would u want ppl following u n takin fotos n then hav a pik of u havin a bad day on the front of "sneak" coz i'd just be like 'y u take my f**kin pik then?' but i giv up with reading newspapers now they full of crap!
Naughty Natured
Report 14 years ago
it is a big shame that people live with there eyes wide shut... some prefer to be ignorant... This is our collective fault...

The media in this country is way too powerful... and there should be restrictions on who can own how much of the media - Mr Murdoch should not be allowed to own so much of our 'free' media. Even our government is terrified of what the tabloids will write if they do not comply with their (the newspapers) policy. We live in a democracy... true... but we havent elected Mr Murdoch to make or break British politics...
*Skippy*
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Naughty Natured)
it is a big shame that people live with there eyes wide shut... some prefer to be ignorant... This is our collective fault...

The media in this country is way too powerful... and there should be restrictions on who can own how much of the media - Mr Murdoch should not be allowed to own so much of our 'free' media. Even our government is terrified of what the tabloids will write if they do not comply with their (the newspapers) policy. We live in a democracy... true... but we havent elected Mr Murdoch to make or break British politics...
Well... thats what u get 4 eating the forbidden fruit...... free will and free thought!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.19%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.28%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (89)
19.43%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (185)
40.39%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.59%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise