The Student Room Group

Titration

3.0g of a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium chloride was made up to 250cm3 of solution. 25.0cm3 of this solution required 21.0cm3 of 0.10M HCL for neutralisation. Calculate the percentage by madd of sodium chloride in the mixture. You may assume that there is no reaction between sodium chloride and HCL.

Help please :smile:
Reply 1
What calculations have you done so far?
Original post by 15076683
3.0g of a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium chloride was made up to 250cm3 of solution. 25.0cm3 of this solution required 21.0cm3 of 0.10M HCL for neutralisation. Calculate the percentage by madd of sodium chloride in the mixture. You may assume that there is no reaction between sodium chloride and HCL.

Help please :smile:

Which test paper is this from?
Reply 3
Original post by creamyulpizza
Which test paper is this from?

It's from a worksheet, not a test paper :smile:
It's from a worksheet, not a test paper :smile:

Reply 5
Oi you, Mister copy and paste!
Original post by Pigster
Oi you, Mister copy and paste!

I was just reminding the OP who seemed to have overlooked your question. Looks like the answer might be nowt!
Reply 7
Original post by Pigster

When I approached the question, I noticed that Sodium Chloride and Sodium Carbonate do not react so I don't see how you could even begin the calculate the answer. I have done other titrations but I fail to see how this one is possible which is why I am requesting help :smile:
When I approached the question, I noticed that Sodium Chloride and Sodium Carbonate do not react so I don't see how you could even begin the calculate the answer. I have done other titrations but I fail to see how this one is possible which is why I am requesting help :smile:

If you carry on reading the question you will see that hydrochloric acid is added. Does that make it any easier for you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TeachChemistry
If you carry on reading the question you will see that hydrochloric acid is added. Does that make it any easier for you?

Yes that does help. Thank you! It seems I had misunderstood the question. Currently feeling very stupid but I got the answer!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest