Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am convinced that I am having intrusive thoughts and false memories.Once, on a day of a test, I picked a shirt to wear. It was white, and I wanted to wear it because I am slightly superstitious. However, it had a tiny black spot on it and it kinda effected me. I thought to myself "what if this black spot helped remind me to evaluate". I still wore it. By the way, I am scared of cheating in a test and I am against it. I went in to the test. I felt that if I could see the black spot in the test, it will give me an answer or prompt me to evaluate the answer. So, before I started, I rolled up my sleeves so I couldn't see it during the test. I also asked for a calculator, since it is an anomaly and could remind to evaluate, in order for my thought of the black spot to ease. When I finished my first point, I had to evaluate. As I looked down, I thought that I saw the black spot (I don't think the spot was low enough to hide). During the test, I knew I thought of evaluating but I got slightly confused with regards to the sight of the tiny black spot. After the test, I felt very good about the test in general. After feeling happy, the negative thoughts returned, and they have somehow convinced me that I did look at it directly and cheated. I never even drew the tiny black pen spot with the intentions to cheat; it was an accident from a while back. Before it started, I also saw other black spots on the table. I knew that if I looked at them it would ease the intrusive thoughts. It was a minute black pen spot that was put there a long time ago, without my doing and not with the intent for cheating. I only put the shirt on because I thought it was lucky; I am very superstitious. I thought I saw it during the exam but I knew I had to evaluate anyway, as I had done so in past papers.

I've had another intrusive thought and I'm not sure whether it is true or false, but I recall I was in an exam, and I looked around and I thought I saw at the corner of my eye someone's answer. My answer was different to the guy's answer, as I asked him afterwards. Then, I assumed that this was the reason why I drew a diagram in the exam; but I thought of this myself, since I practised it and knew about it prior to the exam. I asked my friend who took the exam how he answered his questions, and he told me that he drew diagrams in the booklet. Ever since then I have been dwelling on the possibility that I may have cheated as I saw a diagram in his booklet, which stimulated myself to draw a different diagram on a completely different topic. The diagram that I may have seen at the corner of my eye was definitely on a different topic, and I had already drawn that diagram before he had. The diagram that I drew was based on game theory, and the diagram that I already drawn but had seen at the corner of my eye was based on a different topic - the cost and revenue diagram. I know I may sound pedantic and bizarre, but I just need someone's opinion on this?

ReputationRep:
    I am really curious. What is the difference between a normal thought and an intrusive one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I am really curious. What is the difference between a normal thought and an intrusive one?
    An intrusive thought is one that is unwelcome and unwanted. Can you please give me your response on my question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iambatman96)
    An intrusive thought is one that is unwelcome and unwanted. Can you please give me your response on my question?
    My response is that you are over thinking this by a massive amount. Cheating is to act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage. Having weird thoughts isn't cheating.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.