• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Hi, I'm a mature applicant applying for a BSc.

I previously completed a BA and my reference is from a tutor from my BA. I've recently started an Open University course to help me get a place for the BSc but I haven't submitted any work yet since it's so early in the course.

UCAS sent an e-mail saying that my reference can't supply predicted grades (understandably). So I suppose I need my OU tutor to supply them. But they can't possibly predict anything until late November when our first assignment is due.

I'm able to sent my UCAS application - everything has a red tick next to it. So do I send it and then contact the OU and ask them to contact UCAS? Or do I leave it and see if my uni choices ask for a predicted grade?
    Give your choices a call and ask if they ll require predicted grades or not for that course before you submit, at least then you'll know where you stand.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks

If they do require them, do you know how that process would work because I can't see an option for submitting predicted grades on the UCAS form since my reference section is now complete?
    Not 100% on this, but I believe your referee would have to contact each university on your behalf by email or an official letter saying what your predicted grades are.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

If they do require them, do you know how that process would work because I can't see an option for submitted predicted grades on the UCAS form since my reference section is now complete?
    You can't submit predicted grades yourself. It has to be done by the referee, so they will be contacted and asked to supply them directly. Yours is very much a non-standard case, so you will definitely be best served by speaking directly to a human being on the phone. Ask for their name and job title when you do get hold of someone. Good luck with it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming your OU grade is something scientific to show your suitability to take on a BSc after doing a BA, is that right? Have they asked for something specific? TBH, all mature student applications are done on an individual basis, so it may just be the whim of the admissions tutor which determines what they want, and no one else can pronounce on that. I am sure that you already have enough evidence of prior academic achievement for them to determine if you look like a good risk, and after that they will no doubt have to contact you directly and discuss things.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's right. Hopefully my A-levels/Degree and other work based qualifications will be evidence of my abilities. None of the universities outright asked for this qualification but they all wanted ''evidence of recent study'' as a mature applicant. My degree doesn't count anymore since it was too long ago to be considered recent, plus it's in an unrelated subject and they wanted evidence of ability within the sciences. Hence the OU science course. Thanks .
    Good luck. I hope it works out. Do you want me to move this to the mature student forum?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I just submitted it - the fun begins. Yes, it's probably more appropriate there .
    Done.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.