toning up! Watch

This discussion is closed.
prada_princess
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
The exam period has finally taken its toll on my body and im looking in pretty bad shape. I'm not overweight (I think I may actually be slightly under for my height) but desperately need to tone up. I was planning on spending my time at the gym throughout the summer (like going for a few hours every day) as i desperately want the slim stomach I used to have. But my friend said something about haveing to rest as my muscles will 'rip' or something. Can someone explain this to me please. Also is it possuble to tone up in a few months if you're dedicated and dont have much weight to lose (i have a teeny layer of fat round my tummy which is all i wanna lose really). I need to tone my arms, stomach, thighs and bum - So pretty much everywhere!! Thanks for any help!!
babyballerina
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You are supposed to rest you muscles so you don't get injured. So maybe working out every other day would be better, especially at first since you haven't been exercising for a while.
tiempo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well i certainly know what my work out will be for the summer!!!! I got 16 wheels for skates - all new... I do believe some steps around london will be destroyed
flds07
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tiempo)
well i certainly know what my work out will be for the summer!!!! I got 16 wheels for skates - all new... I do believe some steps around london will be destroyed
tiempo.... as in time..?
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If youre just doing cardiovascular exercise, rest days arent necessary, and if youre just doing light weights, rest days probably arent necessary either. You need a break if youre lifting heavyweights or doing proper weight training. The way muscle growth works is, when you lift heavy weights, youre actually destroying your muscle - this is why you gradually find it harder and harder to lift the weight through your set - until eventually you cant lift it anymore. Your body is so traumatised from the whole experience it thinks 'bloody hell, I better put on abit more muscle so that that doesnt happen again!' and so, when the muscle regrows its a tiny bit bigger. Repeat the above process with a heavier weight next time(as youve got that little bit more muscle) and gradually you build up the amount of muscle you have. Now, as youre destroying muscle, it needs time to repair and grow, so this is when you need to be taking breaks. Youll also be needing to eat alot of protein to help the muscle growth..but, this isnt the kind of training youve got in mind(I think at least) so the rest days are virtually pointless for you..
theoffender
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm getting in pretty bad shape too... you revise at home all day and you end up eating junk for no reason at all. It's not all bad though, once my exams are over I'm going into a proper training routine... protein galore.
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Four words: Personal Trainer and Pilates
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have stress fractures and ripped tendons in both legs from running every other day even though I did it gradullay and did warm up exercises. Just watch what you are doing.
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Since its summer you may find a gym membership isn't really need unless your doing weights. I cut done my gym time loads and just go running along the thames. However I would say you should start small and gradually progress to exercising everyday or two. Another alternative is to play some sport with friends provided the weather holds out. Anyway good luck!
fatboyslim
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what you can do is a cycle of ratation on muscles so certain groups rest on certain days yet u still excersize every day
young_free
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Remember exercise has to be accompanied by a good diet- or at least it has to when you want to get toned in half the time!
crazy_cath
Report 14 years ago
Jog....i cant stress it enough

i never used to shift any weight when I went to the gym. Now I go running four times a week and the changes are great!
Yes its hard at first, but you really do get used to it! Ive noticed changes in my legs and stomach and everyones noticed how much I have lost. Its great for reducing stess, and I'm sleeping better. I also used to have quite bad skin (prone to the occasional breakout!) and for some reason (if anyone can explain why!) its suddeny improved since ive started running!
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crazy_cath)
Jog....i cant stress it enough

i never used to shift any weight when I went to the gym. Now I go running four times a week and the changes are great!
Yes its hard at first, but you really do get used to it! Ive noticed changes in my legs and stomach and everyones noticed how much I have lost. Its great for reducing stess, and I'm sleeping better. I also used to have quite bad skin (prone to the occasional breakout!) and for some reason (if anyone can explain why!) its suddeny improved since ive started running!
It's about your hormones. You know testosteroney men can get very aggitated and twitchy? If they use the energy during a good workout then the testosterone levels in their body drops. It's the same kind of thing for spots I think. If you have a slight imbalance of one hormone or another you get spots, so working out and getting rid' of any excess hormones reduces the likelihood of getting spots. Or something like that. It also releases toxins from the body and lowers stress levels, which obviously helps the spot situation!
AngelofnoColour
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
thats what Im doing too, next Friday is my last exam. Then after it, Im going start exercising everyday and doing 50 sit ups, to tone my tummy muscles more. Do you think its a stupid idea, if a slim girl goes to the gym?
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlueAngel)
thats what Im doing too, next Friday is my last exam. Then after it, Im going start exercising everyday and doing 50 sit ups, to tone my tummy muscles more. Do you think its a stupid idea, if a slim girl goes to the gym?
Doing 50 situps a day is stupid, as they wont do anything for your 'tummy muscles'. Did you not read my above post at all?
AngelofnoColour
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Doing 50 situps a day is stupid, as they wont do anything for your 'tummy muscles'. Did you not read my above post at all?

Yeah, ripping muscles. Ooo painful. Never mind then, Im too young to die.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlueAngel)
Yeah, ripping muscles. Ooo painful. Never mind then, Im too young to die.
Thats the only way to put muscle on...by breaking them.
_Shines_
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
20 sit ups every 2 days has effect if you do them properly with the breathing-- only do a 100 if you have a basketball coach that hates you- and just makes you tired..
tiempo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by flds07)
tiempo.... as in time..?
Well when it started it was weather, but time is good enough
fatboyslim
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
20 sit ups does absolutely nothing
if you going to do it do it properly.

crunches:
20, 20, 20
second tpe of crunches:
30, 30, 30
third type:
30, 40, 40

and if pos do it morning and evening 4 times a week
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise