Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Prospects for young people 'have worsened' says report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34674276

Young people are facing problems in key areas such as housing, jobs, access to education (in particular university and college fees).

Don't worry though, MP's are talking about whether people can get the services they need as I type this;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34666386

Shame the concern is just about people who have no connection to the UK whatsoever.

I'm so glad I'm 22. There are many much younger than me who will have to get a mini-mortgage to get a degree and get what looks like a mortgage for a five bed but only to buy a flat.
    All of this will be paid off whilst paying sky high rents, or more acurately paying off the mortgage of someone wealthy enough to have already have a home and rent out a second.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That's a nice impartial source there. I like the tuition fees atm (I'm 16).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    You like a £30,000 debt?
    Why?

Mine is £9,000!

ReputationRep:
    BBC are hardly the worst, and it is reporting an actual report.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    You like a £30,000 debt?
    Why?

Mine is £9,000!
    Well it's not really debt is it.

ReputationRep:
    What a bloody surprise.

I joke.

And it's only going to get worse. An attack on the age group in question from 2010 onwards (of course, with a direct correlation to a Tory influenced government) has made them become the forgotten generation. History will never look kindly on this, and it's only set to get worse, with Osborne believing that only over 25's deserve the 'living wage'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You like a £30,000 debt?
    Why?

Mine is £9,000!
    Won't be debt and it's cheaper than a lot of private schools by a long way.

ReputationRep:
    Won't be debt and it's cheaper than a lot of private schools by a long way.
    which is because private schools are massively expensive and can only be afforded by the rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miacat)
    What a bloody surprise.

I joke.

And it's only going to get worse. An attack on the age group in question from 2010 onwards (of course, with a direct correlation to a Tory influenced government) has made them become the forgotten generation. History will never look kindly on this, and it's only set to get worse, with Osborne believing that only over 25's deserve the 'living wage'.
    because under 25s simply "aren't productive" according to the tories :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Stop whining and vote.

ReputationRep:

Young people are facing problems in key areas such as housing, jobs, access to education (in particular university and college fees).

Don't worry though, MP's are talking about whether people can get the services they need as I type this;

Shame the concern is just about people who have no connection to the UK whatsoever.

I'm so glad I'm 22. There are many much younger than me who will have to get a mini-mortgage to get a degree and get what looks like a mortgage for a five bed but only to buy a flat.
    All of this will be paid off whilst paying sky high rents, or more acurately paying off the mortgage of someone wealthy enough to have already have a home and rent out a second.
    I'd not be worried about education. It's free at the point of use and the repayment terms are actually more generous.

The jobs data is based on two things largely..

1) Wage data - This is a concern since those under 34 saw the biggest falls since 08 and real wage growth is still not going to be stunning once we generate some inflation.

2) Youth unemployment - While the ordinary labour market coped well we saw youth unemployment spike. I'm not so concerned that's an issue now though..

Housing is the main one i back you on. Only in the 2010-2012 period did we have a healthy housing market and the government responded to peoples whining about having to save deposits by inflating the credit supply via the likes of Help To Buy. For the first time in decades we saw affordability increase during a time of growth outside London.

ReputationRep:
    Education is a smaller issue, perhaps it reads like I overstated it. The bigger issues are a) getting decent enough paying jobs and b) getting an affordable home. One of my personal favourite topics in the news is about picky students; I mean the papers say "oh, look, this person thinks they are above this job".

In reality that person is thinking "I'm not an older person with a low/no mortgage. I'm a young person and if I have to pay £700+ rent a month and still save for a deposit I need a good salary just to own a one bed flat; I'm not asking for a mansion".

Young people are the ones who need affordable homes the most (since older people already have pre-boom priced houses) yet are the ones on the lowest wages. Doesn't bother me, I'm fine, but I find it incredible how some groups are categorically ignored and forgotten about. No MP's running around trying to sort their concerns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Well it's not really debt is it.
    You (the student) owe money to someone (in this case the government), what else is that if not debt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    You (the student) owe money to someone (in this case the government), what else is that if not debt?
    However you pay it back in a tax format, only when you earn £21k a year and if you don't pay it back in a certain amount of time it gets wiped.

ReputationRep:
    It is a debt for those who will work and have a salary above 21k really.

ReputationRep:
    It is a debt for those who will work and have a salary above 21k really.
    (Original post by United1892)
    However you pay it back in a tax format, only when you earn £21k a year and if you don't pay it back in a certain amount of time it gets wiped.
    So a debt then...

ReputationRep:

Better vote Tory.

Amaright>?

Meanwhile in sister wealthy western European liberal democracy Denmark the the state pays you to go to university. Young people, demand more from your ****y rulers.

(Original post by Maker)
    Stop whining and vote.
    Tory.

ReputationRep:
    So a debt then...
    Not a conventional one.

ReputationRep:
    So a debt then...
    Yes, I am agreeing with you. I also described it as a debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Better vote Tory.

Amaright>?

No; vote Labour and allow mass immigration which can see wages stay low, housing prices and rents stay nice and high. They will also personally see to it that we don't create any jobs so that competition can be even more difficult.

Amaright>?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.