Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I likely to get five rejections? Should (can?) I change my choices? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I applied for PPE at Oxford, LSE, UCL, Durham and Warwick. Since all of them are very competitive I am worried that I will get five rejections. I applied three weeks ago and until now I have nothing.
    I am an international applicant taking the German Abitur. I am predicted 1.0 - 1.3 ( 1.0 is the best grade you can achieve. I think 1.0 is like A*A*A* and 1.3 maybe like A*AA?) For Abitur the requirements for my choices are:
    LSE 1,3 UCL 1,4 Warwick 1,5-1,2 Durham 1,2 Oxford 1,5
    My grades are within the requirements (except maybe for Durham) but I am still worried because I have no "fancy" extracurriculars and I consider my personal statement to be comparatively weak because nobody could help me and I didn't have much time to do it.
    Do you think I could/should change my choices to prevent to get no offers at all? Because with my application I don't think that any of these universities will offer me a place..
    I would be happy about any advice/thoughtts about this, I am a little desperate about this at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    The problem faced by applicants is not getting offers, it's meeting them. That's when it becomes tricky trying to find an alternative place so late into the year. There is a scheme called UCAS Extra which allows you to add a choice should you have 0 offers, so it's not something to stress about too much.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by scblx)
    Hello everyone,
    I applied for PPE at Oxford, LSE, UCL, Durham and Warwick. Since all of them are very competitive I am worried that I will get five rejections. I applied three weeks ago and until now I have nothing.
    I am an international applicant taking the German Abitur. I am predicted 1.0 - 1.3 ( 1.0 is the best grade you can achieve. I think 1.0 is like A*A*A* and 1.3 maybe like A*AA?) For Abitur the requirements for my choices are:
    My grades are within the requirements (except maybe for Durham) but I am still worried because I have no "fancy" extracurriculars and I consider my personal statement to be comparatively weak because nobody could help me and I didn't have much time to do it.
    Do you think I could/should change my choices to prevent to get no offers at all? Because with my application I don't think that any of these universities will offer me a place..
    I would be happy about any advice/thoughtts about this, I am a little desperate about this at the moment.
    It wouldn't necessarily have been a bad idea to have a course with a lower requirement but I wouldn't get too worried since the universities you've applied to have standard offers in the range that you're expecting, so it's not like you're applying to places completely out of your league. Universities do seem to be less likely to give offers to international applicants but I don't know the reason behind this (it could be that lots of them don't understand the admissions system so apply unrealistically, which doesn't seem to be the case in your situation). You're not expected to have lots of fancy extracurriculars, they will be more interested in your engagement in your subject beyond the curriculum e.g. reading. Obviously I can't see your personal statement so I can't really comment on that.

Nobody here can tell you for certain who will accept you and who won't, but at least from my perspective, it doesn't look like you've made a terrible set of choices. You could always swap one of those choices with an 'easier' choice but that's something only you can decide, really. Obviously I can't say "I promise you'll get offers" because I can't, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you did get offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    The problem faced by applicants is not getting offers, it's meeting them. That's when it becomes tricky trying to find an alternative place. There is a scheme called UCAS Extra which allows you to add a choice should you have 0 offers, so it's not something to stress about too much.
    Meeting an offer would be no problem at all for me since the requirements are below the grades that I aim at anyway :-) My overall predicted grade is lower than it should be, if I don't mess something up I will rather have 1.0 or 1.1 :-)
    My problem is definitely more to get an offer.. I really regret my choices.. I am not sure if I can use UCAS Extra, there was one thing that only UK students can use

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    Meeting an offer would be no problem at all for me since the requirements are below the grades that I aim at anyway :-)
    My problem is definitely more to get an offer.. I really regret my choices.. I am not sure if I can use UCAS Extra, there was one thing that only UK students can use
    Lots of people aim for A*A*A* and 45/777 IB, as well. Such people still miss their offers sometimes!

UCAS doesn't mention any nationality restrictions on the Extra page, so I don't think that is the case here. I'd like for you to understand that you do have a safety net of very good universities should you fail to get offers from these 5 (which is unlikely in itself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    It wouldn't necessarily have been a bad idea to have a course with a lower requirement but I wouldn't get too worried since the universities you've applied to have standard offers in the range that you're expecting, so it's not like you're applying to places completely out of your league. Universities do seem to be less likely to give offers to international applicants but I don't know the reason behind this (it could be that lots of them don't understand the admissions system so apply unrealistically, which doesn't seem to be the case in your situation). You're not expected to have lots of fancy extracurriculars, they will be more interested in your engagement in your subject beyond the curriculum e.g. reading. Obviously I can't see your personal statement so I can't really comment on that.

Nobody here can tell you for certain who will accept you and who won't, but at least from my perspective, it doesn't look like you've made a terrible set of choices. You could always swap one of those choices with an 'easier' choice but that's something only you can decide, really. Obviously I can't say "I promise you'll get offers" because I can't, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you did get offers.
    My personal statement is not too bad but I couldn't mention fancy extracurriculars or other stuff that would be outstanding, maybe it is at least average.
    I know that there are no guarantees but I am just so terrified about getting all rejections. But I also don't know which I could swap with what (can you say it like this? )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    Lots of people aim for A*A*A* and 45/777 IB, as well. Such people still miss their offers sometimes!

UCAS doesn't mention any nationality restrictions on the Extra page, so I don't think that is the case here. I'd like for you to understand that you do have a safety net of very good universities should you fail to get offers from these 5 (which is unlikely in itself).
    Thank you :-) I would also have to opportunity to study here in Germany(but no PPE ) Positive thing here is that a certain percentage of students is chosen only based on grades, so this is maybe a safety net - I would get into everything I think besides maybe medicine. But this is not what I want so I just hope to get offers from my five choices or maybe through UCAS Extra

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    Hello everyone,
    You can only change within seven days of applying, so the point is moot...

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...making-changes

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, as you sent your application off more than a week ago, you can't change your choices now. There's no point in worrying about it, though I'd be surprised if you got 5 rejections.

If you do get 5 rejections, then have a look at UCAS Extra and Clearing (NB Clearing is later in the year, from A Level results day onwards, but you tend to get more choice then).

ReputationRep:
    To get this point out the way now, you're too late to change courses: that deadline has already passed.

Still, as was mentioned earlier, extra-curricular aspects are altogether the least important aspect of your application - many of the top universities would pay it no heed whatsoever. What you have put on your personal statement is supercurricular activities, i.e. those that go above your school work (tutoring, extra reading etc.), and those will be important. You have top grade predictions and I'm sure your teacher reference is excellent (your grades are comfortably acceptable for Durham, I think, who require "German Abitur with grade of 1.9 - 2.1 or better (including scores of 14 or better in required subjects for entry)"). Even though you have applied to some of the most competitive courses, I would be very surprised if you ended up without any offers. There's no reason why that would be the case.
    Good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Unfortunately, as you sent your application off more than a week ago, you can't change your choices now. There's no point in worrying about it, though I'd be surprised if you got 5 rejections.

If you do get 5 rejections, then have a look at UCAS Extra and Clearing (NB Clearing is later in the year, from A Level results day onwards, but you tend to get more choice then).
    I hope it won't happen.
    This might be a stupid question but when is A level results day? I will get my results in the end of June, though in May nearly everything will be certain except for the oral exams.
    Is A Level results day later or earlier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SosbanFach)
    To get this point out the way now, you're too late to change courses: that deadline has already passed.

Still, as was mentioned earlier, extra-curricular aspects are altogether the least important aspect of your application - many of the top universities would pay it no heed whatsoever. What you have put on your personal statement is supercurricular activities, i.e. those that go above your school work (tutoring, extra reading etc.), and those will be important. You have top grade predictions and I'm sure your teacher reference is excellent (your grades are comfortably acceptable for Durham, I think, who require "German Abitur with grade of 1.9 - 2.1 or better (including scores of 14 or better in required subjects for entry)"). Even though you have applied to some of the most competitive courses, I would be very surprised if you ended up without any offers. There's no reason why that would be the case.
    Good luck with your application
    Maybe it's good that I cannot change anymore, so i don't have to think about that.
    Actually I deleted the tutoring part in my statement because I saw in the teachers reference that my teacher mentioned it, so I thought it wouldn't be necessary to state it again (my teacher remembered more of my activities than I did - he also mentioned the two internships I did). I hope that it won't matter to the universities where they read it?
    My teacher's reference seems to be very good (I read it) but I hope it is what they expect, my teacher had really no experience with this (and I hope they won't be angry about the American spelling my teacher uses..).
    I thought I read 1,2 for Durham, but 1,9 - 2,1 would be great, I would need to do really bad to get my overall grade under 2,1
    I hope for at least one offer I am just so concerned because everyone here seems to have at least one offer already..
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    I hope it won't happen.
    This might be a stupid question but when is A level results day? I will get my results in the end of June, though in May nearly everything will be certain except for the oral exams.
    Is A Level results day later or earlier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    18th August 2016.

ReputationRep:

She can use adjustment as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    I thought adjustment is only for UK students (taking A Levels?)
    And I could only use adjustment if I exceeded my offers - and that's very hypothetic - I would need offers to exceed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if she meets and exceeds the terms of her firm choice university - but in the situation the OP is talking about (getting 5 rejections) they wouldn't have a firm uni anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    And I could only use adjustment if I exceeded my offers - and that's very hypothetic - I would need offers to exceed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is no requirement that you must be an A-Level student. It's simply the case that Adjustment opens according to A-Level result day. I used Adjustment the year before last and I didn't do A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No it's for everyone.Mate,be positive and work hard and you'll reach wherever you want in life(that's all I can say).
    In terms of extracurriculars,I'd say they can be important if you're applying for medicine but having a few shows your interest
    What if you get all offers?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if she meets and exceeds the terms of her firm choice university - but in the situation the OP is talking about (getting 5 rejections) they wouldn't have a firm uni anyway.
    Oh.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    What if she gets all offers?

ReputationRep:
    No it's for everyone.Mate,be positive and work hard and you'll reach wherever you want in life(that's all I can say).
    In terms of extracurriculars,I'd say they can be important if you're applying for medicine but having a few shows your interest
    What if you get all offers?
    If I get all offers, Oxford will be my firm choice and if I meet the conditions I will go to Oxford. It's quite unlikely though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.