Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So far I've had replies from two universities: a conditional offer from Bath and an unconditional offer from Leicester, both to study Biochemistry. I'm still waiting on replies from my other universities which are Birmingham, Bristol and Oxford. Obviously if I got a place at Oxford I'd go there but I know it's not that likely so at the moment I'm thinking that I will choose Bath and my firm choice and I was hoping to have Leicester as my insurance choice.

Would I still be able to have Leicester as my insurance choice, even though I've got an unconditional offer? From what I've read on UCAS you can do it and some people say it's a good idea because then you will definitely have a place, even if you miss your firm choice. But I've also heard from a few people that some universities will withdraw the offer is you accept an unconditional as your firm choice, which would leave me with no insurance choice.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Well done on your unconditional offer, I got one too for Medicinal Biochemistry at Leicester! I'm pretty sure than universities can't withdraw their offers, even if you don't use them as your choices, but I'm not 100% certain.

ReputationRep:
    Normally you get an email, or it goes on track that it is unconditional if you firm and XXX grades if you insure
    If that isnt the case its probably unconditional no matter what you do with your offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgitsmelz)
    Hey! Well done on your unconditional offer, I got one too for Medicinal Biochemistry at Leicester! I'm pretty sure than universities can't withdraw their offers, even if you don't use them as your choices, but I'm not 100% certain.
    Omg! Same offer for me! And I have the same question, should I call leicester to make sure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theperksofbeingnerdy)
    So far I've had replies from two universities: a conditional offer from Bath and an unconditional offer from Leicester, both to study Biochemistry. I'm still waiting on replies from my other universities which are Birmingham, Bristol and Oxford. Obviously if I got a place at Oxford I'd go there but I know it's not that likely so at the moment I'm thinking that I will choose Bath and my firm choice and I was hoping to have Leicester as my insurance choice.

Would I still be able to have Leicester as my insurance choice, even though I've got an unconditional offer? From what I've read on UCAS you can do it and some people say it's a good idea because then you will definitely have a place, even if you miss your firm choice. But I've also heard from a few people that some universities will withdraw the offer is you accept an unconditional as your firm choice, which would leave me with no insurance choice.
    When you say offer, do you mean the unconditional offer as an insurance?

ReputationRep:
    So as an insurance do you think it'll still remain an unconditional offer?

ReputationRep:
    I'm same situation, unconditional and it would be an insurance, so posting to get updates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezaraf)
    Omg! Same offer for me! And I have the same question, should I call leicester to make sure?
    I think you should call them just in case, but along with the email I received, there were some FAQ's, and within it it said that they can't take the offer away from us, just that they hope we use it as our firm choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xturqz)
    I'm same situation, unconditional and it would be an insurance, so posting to get updates
    Which course is your offer for?

ReputationRep:
    Which course is your offer for?
    Physics with Astrophysics

ReputationRep:
    Physics with Astrophysics
    That sounds pretty kick ass! Are you going to the taster conference at Leicester? Also, which other unis did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgitsmelz;[url="tel:60372869")
    60372869[/url]]That sounds pretty kick ass! Are you going to the taster conference at Leicester? Also, which other unis did you apply for?
    Didn't know about the conference until now XD it's not too important to me as I know I'm happy to go there already but I may book it anyway

But yeah my others are Nottingham, Birmingham, Sussex and Surrey
    Leicester was my backup really so I'm glad that I got an unconditional as it means it literally is a guaranteed backup XD

Where else you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know about the conference until now XD it's not too important to me as I know I'm happy to go there already but I may book it anyway

But yeah my others are Nottingham, Birmingham, Sussex and Surrey
    Leicester was my backup really so I'm glad that I got an unconditional as it means it literally is a guaranteed backup XD

Where else you apply to?
    I'm gonna go, I never went to any open days, and it was basically the first uni that popped into my head when I sent off my ucas, since I had to have one non-medical choice, haha. I wanna see if its somewhere i could see myself, and find out more about the course, especially if i dont get into any medical courses!

I applied for medicine at Keele, Liverpool, Manchester and Oxford,
    Have you had any more offers?

ReputationRep:
    I got an unconditional for Law at Leic, really want to know if I can use it as insurance...
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ayy lmao XD)
    I got an unconditional for Law at Leic, really want to know if I can use it as insurance...
    It's only be an unconditional if you firm it and commit to actually going from the beginning. If you place it as your insurance, it'll automatically become a conditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    It's only be an unconditional if you firm it and commit to actually going from the beginning. If you place it as your insurance, it'll automatically become a conditional offer.
    That's ****ing annoying
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    That's ****ing annoying
    how i feel about life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    how i feel about life
    Is that how it always works? cuz they havent said anything like that in the emayul... : (
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Is that how it always works? cuz they havent said anything like that in the emayul... : (
    What was said in the email?

Most universities have the 'we want you, but only if you want us' mentality, they don't settle to be side chicks unfortunately :console:

ReputationRep:
    Phone ucas for clarification on this.

It didn't used to be the case that having an unconditional offer as an insurance choice changed it in any way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.